Transition …and deleting v2

Would like to use DevonThink3 exclusively now.
Since my database isn’t big, wanna build it up with v3. Saved all my important files. I don’t run a business so if something were to go wrong with v3 I’m not too worry.

1. How would I delete all traces of DevonThink2? What should I leave and delete?(caches, settings etc)

2. I have some costume scripts, easiest way to transfer those to v3?

3. I have 5 Databases from v2 and I have been using them with v3, I wanna keep using them after I delete v2, anything I should do with the databases before I delete v2?

Thanks.

I would probably keep version 2. Just use Version 3 from now on.

I am still figuring out version 3, and occasionally use version 2 if can’t easily figure out what to do.

1 Like

For a full uninstall of Pro/Pro Office…
Before you attempt this, if you have items in your Global Inbox you want to preserve, select them in DEVONthink then select File > Export > Files and Folders to a newly created folder on your Desktop. If you don’t you will lose this information when you delete the DEVONthink Pro 2 folder in ~/Library/Application Support.

If you have other databases they will not be affected unless you are storing them in one of the locations listed below.

If you want to keep custom scripts, you’d need to move them from ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Scripts to ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3/Menu.

1. Select Tools > Quit Sorter.
  2. Trash the following files and folders:
  • DEVONthink Pro (Office) application
  • ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2
  • ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/DEVONMailConduit-SnowLeopard.mailbundle
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon- technologies.thinkpro2.*
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/Scripts/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific workflows in ~/Library/Workflows/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/PDF Services/
  • DEVONthink related Bookmarklets from your web browser
  • The Inbox in the sidebar of your Finder windows
  1. Delete the DEVONthink Sorter from System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items .
  2. Reboot the machine.
3 Likes

Thanks.

Current Databases are in Macintosh HD>User>Home. I believe that’s the best place to house them and the others are in an external drive so they wouldn’t be affected.

Just to be clear, I don’t have to trash ~/Library/Application Support.?

1. If I uncheck ‘Start sorter at login’ in DT’s preference then it doesn’t show in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items . So no need to delete it as it auto deletes if it’s unchecked in preference.

Thanks again Neumann.

Definitely not. This contains data of various applications.

1 Like

Would you recommend deleting DevonThink2 with CleanMyMac x? this app deletes all remaining files etc. (I know I know, I will manually delete all you listed above) But after I deleting those files I wanna run CleanMyMac x. just incase there are some files left behind that you yourself don’t even know.

Or just drag it to trash?

We do not advocate any third-party uninstaller applications, especially as it would be on our consciences if one were to do some real damage.

Personally speaking, I would just follow our instructions and not worry about anything beyond it.

1 Like

Thanks Jim.

No problem.

Now that 3 is official, I’m finally deleting Pro Office. (I’ve been using 3 exclusively for some months anyway!) That was a very helpful post, thanks!

Thanks!

And thanks for the support :slight_smile:

As you know, I’m about download and install v3. I am using this post as my guide for unistalling DTPO 2. In your instructions, you say:

When I click File > Export, Files and Folders is unavailable (greyed out). I’m embarrassed to confess that I don’t actually have a DB (I think). I only have the Global Inbox with 377 documents (long story short: I’m still in a kind of “planning” stage where I’m overthinking what the best way to start is).

Have I done something wrong? I do want to export my Global Inbox before I follow the rest of your instructions for deleting DTPO 2.

Sorry to be a bother, and thanks muchly!

Keith

Is anything selected in the main view? This command requires a selection, it doesn’t export complete databases.

That’s odd: I thought I had selected the Global Inbox, but perhaps I hadn’t? I made sure to click the Global Inbox this time and then clicked File > Export and Files and Folders was available this time!

However, after selecting the folder to which I wanted to export the GI, I clicked save and all it exported was the PDF article that was highlighted in the GI, and a file called DEVONtech_storage, which is only 1KB. I’m pretty sure my 377 articles should be more than 1K.

You’d think I’d be able to figure this out. Any suggestions for what I did this time? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Only selected items will be exported.
Select the Global Inbox, then click an item in the item list and press Command-A to select all.
Then use File > Export > Files and Folders to a folder on your Desktop.

1 Like

I’m such a dolt. LOL

Thanks! 377 PDFs and .webarchives exported, plus that DEVONtech_storage item, whatever that is. I assume I need to keep it there for when I import.

Now I need to figure out why I can’t install the Mail plugin:

Can’t copy plugin resources
Please check your write permissions and the amount of free space in your home “Library/Mail/Bundles” folder.

However, I have Read & Write privileges to Library/Mail/Bundles (DTPO was there till I deleted it, as well as MailHub and Mail Suite).

Well, I searched and I don’t see anything newer than 2012 for this error.

My apologies for being such a newb with this.

I think D3 copied my database from Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 to Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3. There’s Inbox—which seems empty and more like a folder, though it has an inbox icon instead of a blue folder—and there’s Inbox.dtBase2. When I select either one in the Open Database dialog, nothing happens. No window opens; I still have only the Menu.

I think D3 copied my database from Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 to Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3.

That is correct and intended.

There’s Inbox—which seems empty and more like a folder, though it has an inbox icon instead of a blue folder—and there’s Inbox.dtBase2.

The folder and .dtBase2 are two different things. The folder is the target for the alias in the Finder’s sidebar.

Select File > New Window in DEVONthink 3.

However, I have Read & Write privileges to Library/Mail/Bundles (DTPO was there till I deleted it, as well as MailHub and Mail Suite).

Have you successfully installed / enabled the other Mail plugins?

Right. I remembered reading that after discovering it on my hard drive.

Re the alias, really? So, if I want to add the inbox to my Finder sidebar, I drag that, not the actual .dtBase2? Cool. Makes sense.

File > New Window is unavailable. There’s also nothing listed on the Window menu.

Yep, I installed all three plugins—now two since I deleted the DTPO plugin (had to do it manually).

So, if I want to add the inbox to my Finder sidebar, I drag that , not the actual .dtBase2? Cool. Makes sense.

Correct.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.