Trojan Malware Associated w/ DEVONagent pro?

Hello,

Just installed and ran a test search and my malware program quarantined 3 files. Is this coming from the app or the websites it’s searching? What if I hadn’t had the malware app running in the background, or if it doesn’t catch it?

R

No, it’s not from our application specifically. It could be from browsing in a DEVONagent window or potentially downloaded as part of the page results.

However, just enable Preferences > Search > Clear cache on quit and these items should be removed when you quit our application.

(Small correction: that should be Preferences > Search > Clear cache on quit.) This does raise a more general question, though: should we be worried about DA downloading malware as part of its caching operation? I’ve never encountered an infection, and my own everyday searches are mostly pretty tame academic sites, but could its indexing operations on the cache activate a Trojan downloaded with an infected page?

Corrected :slight_smile:

should we be worried about DA downloading malware as part of its caching operation? I’ve never encountered an infection, and my own everyday searches are mostly pretty tame academic sites, but could its indexing operations on the cache activate a Trojan downloaded with an infected page?

@cgrunenberg would have to respond more authoritatively on this. I’ve never encountered an issue either (and I’ve definitely had to deal with sites where the likelihood is much higher for such intrusions). However, I don’t leave DEVONagent running all the time and I have always had this option enabled.

Perhaps I’ll look at running a VM and run DA with the option disabled.

thanks for the feedback. I went to my settings and “clear cache on quit” is already checked. though am understanding that I should quite the app periodically?

If you’re not using it, why leave it running? :thinking:

These files are automatically created by macOS for all applications when downloading data from the internet and might therefore contain all kind of stuff.

However, in most cases it’s just a false alert. And even if it should be a valid warning this is harmless as the downloaded data is of course neither executed by DEVONagent nor by macOS.

Browsing the web is of course a different topic and you should be careful like in any other browser and avoid suspicious sites/links.

Thanks! That’s really helpful to know – and for anyone else concerned, I should note that the Clear cache on quit option is checked by default, and very few users will ever have had a reason to uncheck it.

I do tend to leave DEVONagent open after the first launch of the day, though, and suspect many others do too; it’s part of my everyday toolkit and quitting it after each use would be like quitting your browser after each page view. (But I do shut down or quit at the end of the day…)

I tend to leave apps on as well during the course of the day and only close them when I’m not using them anymore… Alt-tab to an application is much easier than reopening. But that said, app points taken.