Trouble with Safari extension after update to 2.1

After updating DTPO to version 2.1 and installing the “Clip to DEVONthink” extension (version 1.2) I find that, if the extension is enabled, when I click on anything in Safari, or hit return, the “Clip to DEVONthink” panel comes up, as if I’d clicked the extension icon.

I’ve had to disable the extension because of this. Is this a known problem?

Oh oops - hold the front page! I just realised that I had the “Disable Javascript” option enabled in Safari’s “Develop” menu, and the problem only occurs when Javascript is disabled in that fashion. It doesn’t occur if that option is not selected. My bad!

Don’t hold the front page just yet! I’ve got this same problem and I’ve had it since before the update. In fact I even had the plug in turned off in safari prefs and it is still popping up (and opening Devonthink) on every single page I go to. Granted it looks nicer than the old version but I’d like to be able to choose when to deploy it. I have no idea what/where the “developer menu” is and I have java script enabled in all my safari preferences.

On a separate note… is it possible to have the extension enabled and have it NOT open Devonthink when used. I’d prefer to use it like the sorter box (my fave feature) with more options and notes so I can seamlessly throw things into devonthink without actually having to open it.

Hmm… I wonder why it’s happening to you without the “Develop” menu switched on and then Javascript disabled? (The “Develop” menu is switched on by going to Safari preferences, clicking the “Advanced” tab, and checking the “Show Develop menu in menu bar” option. Using it, you can do clever developer stuff like toggling Javascript for a page, and so-on.)

The problem disappeared completely for me when I ensured that Javascript was not disabled, so if you have Javascript fully enabled, I can’t think why you’re having the problem. It must be for a different, if maybe related, reason.

Perhaps somebody on here can shed some light on this?

Hello,

Well, I can verify that it happens when Disable JavaScript is enabled. That’s something for me to look into, but it clearly doesn’t address scubahooch’s issue.

Scubahooch, in Safari’s preferences, on the Extensions tab, you’ll find the Clip to DEVONthink settings. Can you try disabling the shortcut and see if this still occurs? If it does, can you please email me at rrix@devon-technologies.com so we can chat a little further about this? I’d like to get some details as to when and why it might be happening.

Thanks very much,
Rob Rix (the Clip to DEVONthink browser extension developer)

Oops, forgot: scubahooch, re: your interest in having Clip to DEVONthink open without DEVONthink opening, that’s not out of the realm of possibility. For the moment the Clip to DEVONthink window lives in DEVONthink, but theoretically ( :slight_smile: ) we could move it into its own process. I’ll write Criss about this.

FWIW - I’d second that suggestion!

Good news: I’m pretty sure I solved the always-activating issue, as well as another issue, for 1.2.1 :slight_smile:

awesome news re possible fix, rrix and thanks for the speedy reply. I’m not getting the pop up behaviour when I turn off the extension entirely (that might have been me misreporting by the way. although I swear it was off! I swear!)I had the old extension open without realising it. I have deleted the old one in safari prefs.

and also awesome news re possibility of clipping living outside of devonthink. I know these are just little things but it’s so nice to try and get your workflow “just so” and leave precious brainpower for the actual work.