Troubleshooting File->Update Indexed Items

I’ve tried “Update Indexed Items” but nothing happens…

Did you have the indexed group selected when you ran this command?

Yes, I think so. I’m indexing four folders with subfolders and files contained within.

I’ve tried selecting the highest level folder which I chose to index and the lowest level folder where the specific change was made.

Is anything logged to Windows > Log? What’s the path of the folder?

Just my experience:

I had once “mistakenly” indexed another external folder (A) into an DT’s index group (B). A and B are actually located in different hierarchy in the Finder, but A is now under B within DT. Under this arrangement, many strange things could happens (at least for me).

Perhaps you should check.

Okay I will check those things. Just to be clear, when I add things to the indexed folder in DT they show up in my one drive folder in the finder. But if I were to go the other way, folders created in indexed OneDrive folder or files saved there are not indexing to DT.

Yes, I just checked with a test pdf file put in the top level folder of the indexed folder in OneDrive. I selected the indexed group and ran the command. Nothing happens.

If I put a similar pdf in the folder in devonthink, it updates in the OneDrive folder without me having to do anything.

Nothing out of the ordinary. According to “Get info” on the indexed folder on DT3, the path to the folder is: ~/OneDrive/USW/1 - Projects

Is this a folder that is set to be available online only?

Okay, sorry for multiple posts. But after reading through this thread again, I decided to look at my trash. In the trash are a bunch of copies of the all the same indexed one drive folders which I deleted when I messed up the index the first time. I deleted these (off the database, not the source) and then the files popped up in the indexed database.

I’m not sure why that is, but I will continue to monitor and see how it goes.

I’m not sure why that is

Because the Trash is just another location in a database, so that is absolutely normal behavior.

This is actually a good tips for the rest of us in the future - clean the trash when something is wrong (AND only after checking what’s in the trash). Thanks.