Trying to import as Markdown, but getting Web Archive

Ok, so I’m using the web clipper feature in Safari and trying to import pages as markdown. What I’m getting, however, are web archives. I’ve not had this problem in the past, but just today.

I checked my settings upon import, it states markdown, but the output is web archive. Thoughts?

• What version of DEVONthink and operating system are you running?
  • What URL are you trying to capture?
  • Are you using the clutter-free option?

Hi Jim,

I’m in DT 3.8.5.

There were several. I will occasionally capture mark down pages of resources my students are using. I’ve never had them come as anything other than MD. And I would use the clutter free option of I could actually check it, but the button is usually greyed out.

Here are some of the pages I was trying to capture:

Am I doing something wrong here?

Khalil

No, you’re not doing anything wrong. However, many sites using dynamic content delivery are difficult to capture since the data isn’t hosted by the site. Instead it is loaded from external sources on demand, even as you scroll sometimes.

I clipped the last two intact as Markdown but the Reader’s Digest one is definitely problematic.

• What operating system are you running?
  • Does the behavior persist after quitting and relaunching DEVONthink?
    • If so, does it persist after rebooting the machine?

ahh I don’t really understand what that is but I noticed a lot of my pages are weird now, the New York Times sort of flickers if you have an image as you scroll down, I thought it was Safari, it is irritating as the site is very slick and has sometimes some very cool set ups but that kind of thing totally distracts.
If I want to save from New York Times in particular I go through another step usually to turn the page into a readable version, I can’t recall exactly how I do it: maybe I do ‘save as pdf’ too.
I never try to capture a web page in Markdown to be honest, I will now, I didn’t really realize you could do that.

1 Like

I am currently running OS 12.4, about to update to 12.5 and once that wraps up, I’ll give it another try and report back.

It did persist after quitting and restarting DT, but I’ll restart the machine in a few minutes.

Sorry, responded to the wrong person.

I am now running OS 12.5.

It did persist after quitting and restarting DT as well as after I restarted the machine.

Now, however, after upgrading to 12.5 and all the restarting, it brings them over as markdown with no problems! Thanks!

This helps me track student resources, etc, in a very simple way.

I appreciate you, Blue!

1 Like

You’re welcome and thanks for the follow-up! :slight_smile: