Two DEVONthink after updating

This afternoon I updated DEVONthink Pro Office 2.4.1 from within the app. And just a moment ago I discovered that I got both DEVONthink Pro Office and DEVONthink Pro (2.4.1) on the Launchpad. Same in the programs folder. Both can be launched.

So how can I delete version 2.4.1 without corrupting anything?

Is it possible that the other program is DEVONagent Pro?

No, of course not. How could I confuse their icons? No, it is DEVONthink Pro Office times two.

Then you said…

I am confused. DEVONthink Pro and DEVONthink Pro Office are two different applications.

Well, it IS confusing. I got a DEVONthink Pro Office licence and updated from within the app, version 2.4.1.

After that I got a DEVONthink Pro Office icon and program and a DEVONthink Pro (2.4.1) icon and program. When I launch the latter its splash screen says "DEVONthink Pro Office 2.4.1. After launch it asks me if I want to update to 2.4.2—which already is there. It seems that the application’s name is just abbreviated.

I must add that from about the time of the malfunctioning update my whole Mac shows weird behaviour: The OS keeps forgetting settings for audio, I can’t empty the trash anymore without writing my password etc.

Since I seem to be the only one facing this update problem with DEVONthink something else, something deeper in the OS might be corrupted.

I have to find out what has happened and what caused it, but still the question is, how I can de-install DEVONthink Pro Office 2.4.1 without loss of any data.

Deleting the application itself entails no data loss as the databases are segregated packages, not stored in application.

Yeah, sure sounds like you have some stuff going on under-the-hood unrelated to this problem.