Two little things: highlighting / Format

Two little things. I think this has been a topic before. But the conclusion is not quite clear to me.

1. if a document has a highlighting, I can select “no highlighting” directly in the toolbar (on the right). This is missing in the Format menu. Would it be possible to add this? (left)

1. how can I transfer the format from one text to another? Thanks.

The “turn off formatting” command is not missing in the Format menu. It is just above the command for selecting the format color. Or use the shortcut to toggle highlighting for the selected text.

What is it you want to do? (I.e., what is “transfer”?)

Thank you, @korm :slightly_smiling_face:. Yes, that’s how I do it. But it takes two steps. If something is already highlighted in yellow, I then highlight something else in red and then return to the yellow highlight. Then ⇧⌘+L has to be triggered twice to delete the highlight completely.

Sorry, I didn’t explain that well. It’s probably what almost everyone knows from MS Word.

1. select text
  2. copy the format
  3. select other text
  4. copy format (2) to text (3)

And you’d want that for what kind of document?

You haven’t provided enough information here. What is “a document”?

Sorry, I didn’t explain that well. It’s probably what almost everyone knows from MS Word.

1. select text
  2. copy the format
  3. select other text
  4. copy format (2) to text (3)

No, this is not possible. However, if you’re referring to rich text, you can choost Format > Styles > Show Styles and create a style you can apply to selected text at a later time.

But it takes two steps. If something is already highlighted in yellow, I then highlight something else in red and then return to the yellow highlight. Then ⇧⌘+L has to be triggered twice to delete the highlight completely.

? :thinking:
What highlight are you deleting in this scenario?

Lol … it’s really not that important. :slightly_smiling_face: But does my DT work completely different than yours. :wink: I mean these two menus. Format on the left, toolbar on the right. On the right I can’t actively select no highlighting, on the left I can’t.

If I press ⇧⌘+L, it seems to select the last color used. So if a word has a different highlighting than the last used, I have to trigger the shortcut twice to have no highlighting. Then that’s the way it is.

Which documents? All documents where you can highlight text. :slightly_smiling_face:

If that’s the answer to my question: I meant to ask about your “copying styles” request. In my mind, there’s only RTF where that makes sense.

Exactly :slightly_smiling_face:

Details matter.

And yes, the Highlight command applies the last used highlight color. Nothing new here.

And no, you can’t copy a style from some text and directly apply it to some other text in rich text. However, DEVONthink supports styles. See this blog post for an idea…

Unless they obscure what it is actually about. As in this case. :rofl:

Wouldn’t it be useful to have the “no highlighting” selection in both menus? Then you wouldn’t have to trigger the shortcut (⇧⌘+L) twice. If this is not possible, so be it.

Thanks for pointing out the styles. However, I would prefer not to do this “with a few clicks”, but with a shortcut. All good, I’ll do it with KM. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

You don’t need Keyboard Maestro to do this. Did you read the blog post? While the details are subtly different in macOS Ventura+, the concept is the same.

Don’t worry, I like to do this with KM. The other part is more important.

Format > Font > Copy/Paste Style does this.

Thank you @cgrunenberg . That’s exactly what I wanted! It wasn’t just me who learned something new :slightly_smiling_face: