Two Macs, one database?

Hello!

I’m a very satisfied user of DevonThink, installed on my desktop Mac. But I now own a laptop, too. Simple question: how to access my database from both computers? Didn’t see anything about sharing a database…

Or, at least, how to have the same updated database on both computers (because I’m working home and away from home)? Is there a (secure!) way to sync two DevonThink databases?

Thanks for help!

There are two solutions:

1. Copy the latest database from one computer to the other one
  2. Activate file sharing on one machine and just the same database (requires that the two computers are connected of course)

The latest database is the devonthink.database (in “Library: Applications support: DevonThink”) with the highest number?

It’s the first time I look at it and I find that I have like 10 database (and each one of them has backup, if I see well!)

Is synchronizing the whole Devonthink folder a good and secure way to get the same and updated database on two different computers? I think they are software out there to make this sync, but I didn’t know if there was a sync database included in DevonThink…

btw: thanks for your help :smiley:

No. Please consider the entire folder as the database.

No, the default is for three internal Backup folders inside the database folder.

Normal synchronization software cannot “read” the file structure of the DT database and cannot reliably or safely synchronize two versions of the database on two computers. When I synchronize changes in a database between my desk top and notebook computer, I normally select the most recently changed items in the History tool and export/import them to the appropriate computer’s database.

If you’re using DEVONthink Personal (not Pro), then you have to copy the complete (!) ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink folder from one machine to the other. But the second solution I mentioned doesn’t work for DEVONthink Personal.

OK! Thanks to you guys!

Seems that the old “drag and drop” is still the best way (I’m on DevonThink Personal) to a “manual sync”!

There is a program in development called DevonSync which synchronises between two machines.
See beam.to/woodenbrain/
I have had it working, but it’s not working for me at the moment.

Fantastic idea, but this soft is for DevonThink Pro only - and I have the Personal version… Too bad, that’s exactly what I was looking for!