Two Requests for the Sidebar

For me, the value of a personal information manager is in the tags. Three requests:

1. I would like this option: When I select the parent of a tag group, all the files inside that group should be shown, down to the deepest level in the group. The current behaviour is not useful.

2. In the database-specific sidebar (or whatever it’s called), I’d like to be able to choose the sorting method for each group, separately. The current all-or-nothing sorting behaviour is counterproductive.

[size=50]I believe #1 and #2 have already been discussed on the forums.[/size]

scratch #3, which as has been pointed out is already possible:
[size=50]3. I want to be able to group tags together, but I don’t want the group’s parent to be a tag itself. Basically I want to put related tags inside a folder, not inside another tag.
edited to add: I know this behaviour can be achieved using groups and replicants, but I checked “exclude all groups from tagging” (in database properties) because having groups-as-tags enabled is a hassle and is troublesome for me. I want further ways of organising the tags themselves.
[/size]

What view are you using? Groups are sorted on a group-by-group basis in the Three Pane view.

Select the parent tag, select Show Info, and check ‘Exclude from: Tagging’.

Nope. I think you misunderstand, and I don’t understand what you mean. I am in the widescreen three-pane view, which is my preferred view. By “sorting method” I refer to “sort by name”, “sort by kind” etc.

Hm, not really. I should have added the following to #3: I know this behaviour can be achieved using groups and replicants, but I checked “exclude all groups from tagging” (in database properties) because having groups-as-tags enabled is a hassle and is troublesome for me. I want further ways of organising the tags themselves.

Yes, I did misunderstand-I see what you are looking for now.

Yes, really! I too have excluded all groups from tagging. But I also have groups, with the info set to exclude tagging, to organize tags in the Tags group. The database property to exclude groups from tagging applies to all regular groups, but you can also convert a tag to a group by checking the exclude from tagging box in the info pane.

omg you’re right! :blush: Yay! I guess I’ll scratch #3 from the first post.