Unicode in tags

I have noticed that some characters are not acceptable for tags.

I’m attempting to implement a document rating system in tags using stars, e.g. ★★★☆☆. While DT tokenizes this combination in the tag entry field, it doesn’t actually become a tag in the tag list; and when I go back into the document inspector, the the rating tag that I created and that it tokenized no longer appears.

Any chance of implementing Unicode support for tags? Or is there something I’m missing here?

Hmmm, you’re right. I recall a while back there was a discussion here about using star tags, such as what you suggest. But now, in DEVONthink Pro Office 2.8.4, like you, I cannot assign those characters as a tag.

I do notice, however, that I can create a group in Tags (i.e., a new tag) with those characters in the name and then drag documents to that tag. (Dragging a document to a tag subgroup of Tags will replicate the document in that group – which is the equivalent of tagging it.) That’s not a very speedy way to tag things, however.

1 Like

What you describe (creating a tag containing Unicode characters then dropping documents onto it) works well. Thank you.

Interestingly, it is possible to create tags with stars (and presumably other characters) in the manner I originally described but they must not begin with a star.