Unique annotation files for duplicate files

When I annotate a file and then duplicate the file and try to annotate the new duplicate, I’m taken back to the annotation document linked to the original.

For example, I add an annotation to “xx_v3.doc” which is “xx_v3.doc (annotation)” - then I duplicate “xx_v3.doc” and change the name of the duplicate to “xx_v4.doc.” When I try to annotate “xx_v4.doc” I’m taken back to the file “xx_v3.doc (annotation)” which is linked to the original document, rather than making a new file called “xx_v4.doc (annotation)” linked to the new document.

Is this the expected behavior? If so, is there a way to turn it off, so that new duplicated files are given their own annotation file? I understand that replicated files would necessarily have the same annotation file - but duplicates should be separate entities, per my understanding, and I’d like them to have separate annotation files.

Thanks.

1. To break the link between a document (“source”) and its annotation file, select the source document, open Tools > Show Info…, delete the contents of the “URL” property

2. To break the link between an annotation file and its source document, select the annotation file, open Tools > Show Info…, delete the contents of the “URL” property

If you want a duplicate to to have its own associated annotation file, do #1

“Duplicate” means “duplicate” – all metadata associated with the original is copied from the original to the duplicate(s) – including the value in “URL”.

Excellent - thank you!

Neglected to mention that if you are working with replicants rather than duplicates, then removing the “URL” value from one replicant removes it from all replicants.