Update Indexed Files

I am a novice so please excuse my naive question.

I have index a folder on my local hard drive. From the literature I expected that if I added a file to this (external to DevonThink), it would automatically appear in DevonThink. This is not the case, even when using “Update Indexed Items”. Am I doing something wrong or misunderstood the manual. Thanks

Welcome @platti

• Where is this indexed folder?
  • What version of DEVONthink and macOS are you running?

The indexed folder is on my Mac hard drive and I am running 10.15.6 and using DevonThink 3.

The file structure on the hard drive has a directory called “projects”, under which there are 2 sub-directories “documents” and “code”. I have indexed the directory “projects” and noted that this plus the directories and all files contained therein have the index symbol associated with them in DevonThink 3.

If I create a word document and place it in “code” on the hard drive it does not appear in DevonThink. However if I then move this file in any way to another directory and put it back into “code” it appears straight away in DevonThink.

Is the indexed folder in a folder being synced to a cloud service or by some other application?

Yes, the folder is synced to a FileCloud server

This is likely the cause. This should be mentioned in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing > Indexing and the file system.

thanks for the information.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: