Updating shown Links / Existing Links not shown

Actually it shouldn’t happen at all. Therefore any additional details how to reproduce this or what causes this would be great.

Okay… I just reproduced this.

The property icon does show when including images having an item link for the URL.
And the associated images have an incoming item link property icon as well.

Incoming and outgoing links are also counted.

However, the images links do not show in the Links inspector.

Hey!

Only wanted to clarify: For me it was always expected that the links are shown, even for pictures.

What is not expected is that the links go missing and can only be made visible again by rebuilding the database or making some small adjustment in the .md file. This could even be a space character! It only counts that the document is saved again I think. By saving the links got “rebuild”.

@cgrunenberg: I did nothing special and sadly I am not able to reproduce this. I work on three Macs and on two iOS devices with full sync and the latest versions of the Apps. I use iCloud for syncing, but in January as I noticed this first time I was using DTTG 2. Sync was handled through Webdav there.

For me it looks like most of the missing links occur on the machine I work the most on… The other two Macs seem to preserve the links better.

Got it.

Any item link in plain text & Markdown documents is currently used, even the ones used for e.g. images. Not sure if this should be disabled.

I quite like the option to be able so see which picture is placed (linked) to which of my notes. I think other Apps like Obsidian do exactly this, too. Kind of nice for the usage of DT as a PKM.

If you disable this option I think I would miss this.

Additionally the problem of the “missing links” not shown still persists. With the links in the pictures I recognized this, because each of my pictures is placed in at least one note. If there ist a link missing I know that something is amiss. But when links between my note file start vanishing it would be not so easy to recognize I think, because there are a lot more here…

So I think it would be better to find the cause of this and eliminate it. If I can help you with this, please tell me how. I will gladly try to help you.

It would be useful to know which actions cause this. Or, if this is unknown, which actions you typically perform on these documents after creating them (assuming that the links are right initially).

The files in this database are my .md notes. To incorporate the images I drag them into the .md file which then creates the item links. I do this in this way every time I want to put an image into a note document.

These database is sent synced to all of my machines (3 x MacOS, 2 x iOS with latest App versions). On iOS I mostly read the .md notes, I think I never edited a note in here (looking forward to the new engine for DTTG to start editing there :wink: Two of the MacOS machines are mostly sync only no editing here. On the third machine I create new .md notes and sometimes edit existing notes with new stuff. But I am quite sure that one of the notes, where the images links were missing, was never updated after first creation. Another one was updated recently. But remember: After updating a note alle the links are “refreshed”, so if one image link is missing it gets reconnected after this…

I am afraid that this will not help you… nothing extraordinary here…

If this should happen again, then it would be useful to know the last action(s) performed on the Macs right before synchronizing them. Thanks in advance!

Sadly to report that this issue happened again today. I started my “main machine” which did not run DT for about a week or so. I performed my usual weekly database maintenance (checking and repairing, checking the integrity and optimizing) and then I noticed that there are link missing again, which are not shown. Mind you, all the checks gave no errors!

In the Inspector no link is shown, too.

The picture “Chlorophyll and Hämoglobin” misses the link to the .md file where it is used. But in the .md file the picture is shown correctly.

I then did a rebuild on the database which fixed the problem on one of the machines. But on a second machine, even after resyncing my whole database, the links still are missing. So do I have to rebuild my database here, too? On a third machine everything is okay instead.

I did not work in these database for over 4 weeks or so, I did nothing with the files in there.
This problem still is around. If you tell me how I can help you @cgrunenberg I will gladly do this… I only want DT to feel (and be) rock solid with my data…

The verification can’t detect this yet. While this would be possible, it would also slow down the verification a lot. Anyway, a rebuild of the database should fix this. Does this happen e.g. after a sync? Or certain other actions like modifying contents, changing metadata etc.?

Hello Christian. Thanks for your response. As I wrote in my message yesterday I did not work in this database for about 4 weeks or so. So no modification in here! I made a habit out of checking the displayed file links, as you asked me in earlier messages what happened or what I did, before this occurs. Everything was fine for weeks. So, nothing I can report here until yesterday.

Yes, a rebuild of the database on machine 1 (Catalina) fixed the missing file links, but on machine 2 (Monterey), even after a complete sync the same file links are missing. On machine 3 (Monterey) everything is fine.

So my only chance to fix this problem is to rebuild the database on machine 2 again? That there are discrepancies between the machines made me think that this is a local problem, what do you think?

This might be necessary.

Is it possible to make DT reestablish all links an on its own? I remember one of the last updates gave me a message “scanning for links” or something like this. Would it be possible to let DT do this on a regular interval, probably as a part of my weekly maintenance tasks? As I do check the integrity and optimize everything?

Because now I know what to look for, I can find the problem in this database. But I can only realize that there is a problem, because all my attachments are in one folder and all files in this folder must have an active linking to another document. But if a document somewhere in my database keeps loosing its links I will probably never realize this…

Do you know what I mean?

That would be only a workaround and we definitely prefer to fix issues instead of working simply around them. Anyway, last week I experienced the same issue after performing some sync related tests, this week I’ll try to reproduce this.

Christian, this response showed me again why I trust both DT and DTTG with my data and why I never get tired of recommending your apps to others. Thank you!

But please think about implementing this “link-scanning” functionality as an additional maintenance routine in DT. These links are getting more important now for all kinds of people. And to be able to check on them would be reasuring…

Sounds bad if I say this but: Fine! I was never able to reproduce this, it happened out of the blue for me, every time.

For now I will refrain from rebuilding the database on my machine 2 (the one with the broken links), in case I can be of assistance for you somehow. Please feel free to contact me. I will happily try to help you.

1 Like

The next release should fix this (assuming your issue is identical to the one I could reproduce). A small example databases (e.g. exported via File > Export > Database Archive…) would be great to test this. Thank you!

Hello Christian

This sounds good. But are you sure that the missing links are not reconstructed during export and importing?

I „cured“ my database on one machine by rebuilding the database. Is an export and the following import not the same?

Greetings

Basically it’s the same but the UUIDs will be different and therefore item links would break.

Sent to cgrunenberg at devon-technologies.com