Upgrade DN to DT Personal

I couldn’t find anything on this board or the FAQ, despite the fact that this situation should be common:

How do I open the database I created in DN in DT? I tried to follow the advice in “Re: Migrating from DT Personal to DT Pro
by cgrunenberg on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:45 am” by renaming the folder, but it didn’t work.

Also, can I delete an old DTPO trial without losing any critical files?

My expectation had been that that the upgrade would add a few more features to the application–PDF and bookmarklet support, in particular-- to help me work with my existing database. That doesn’t seem to be the case, however, according to the FAQ: “Can I upgrade from DEVONnote to DEVONthink? No.” That No leaves me stuck, with no way forward.

It would be helpful if the Help system and Support pages showed either a clear upgrade path, or advice to not expect to upgrade one’s data.

The post you mention deals with DT Personal to DT Pro, so that advise will not apply to your conversion. Try this How to migrate database from DevonNote 1.x to DevonThink Pro

The FAQ about upgrading from DEVONnote to DEVONthink is about reduced pricing for the upgrade (none), not the fact that your data cannot be imported into DEVONthink.

Thanks for the speedy reply. The local search engine didn’t pick that link up using variants of the search terms DN, DEVONnote and update. Perhaps your search engine needs a dose of AI.

The suggestion you gave me is so useful and so simple that it should be included in the help files and the FAQ.

BTW, there is reduced pricing for the upgrade from DN to DT. I got a nice discount. The FAQ read to me as if it were making a technical statement rather than a pricing policy statement. Ambiguity like that needs to be fixed.

Thanks again.