Upgrade from 2 to 3 not possible?

I have version 2.7.7 and are entitled to the discount price for version 3.
However the upgrade process has a core problem…
Despite having To Go 2 running, DEVONthink To Go 3 fails to give an upgrade price!
That’s because it’s completely blind to To Go 2 version 2.7.7 (See below)
And 2.7.9 has “been removed from the App Store”, so I can’t correct the problem either.
So it’s impossible to get my discount for version 3.

How do I resolve this?

“As we don’t want to force you to upgrade to DEVONthink To Go 3 we made it a new app in the App Store. If you purchased version 2 you can upgrade to version 3 for a reduced price. For this to work make sure DEVONthink To Go 2.7.8 or 2.7.9 is installed on your device and opened at least once. Then install version 3 and buy the price-reduced one-time purchase. You can now safely delete the old version at your convenience.”

DTTG 2.7.9 has not been removed from the App Store. If you go into your App Store account (by tapping your profile picture) and then select Purchased, you will find it there still available for download.

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back - I’m wondering if the app stores are not in same locality (uk for me) or there is some other difference.

This is what I see on my account under purchases (displayed is “UPDATE” to the right of the last icon, which I pressed):

Then a pop-up: “DEVONthink To GO” No longer Available . The developer has removed this app from the App Store"

Still available in the US store, FWIW.

I’ve just downloaded 2.7.9 from UK store.

I’m not seeing it on UK App Store either. I don’t need it as I have Ver 3 installed and running (upgraded from 2). Maybe Apple has some sort of algorithm to hid old version? I don’t know.

I tried to find by searching for “DEVONthink” and only 3 showed up.

I didn’t have any version of DTTG installed on my phone. I found 2.7.9 by looking (manually) among my “Purchased” applications. I had to scroll a heck of a long way down, but it was there. I’ve never installed the release version of DTTG 3 (though I did test the beta). I’m not using the application at all at the moment. But I thought I would check if I could still install the old version of DTTG. Perhaps previous installations affect what you can see on the App Store.

Perhaps it was available because it may have been installed earlier on a device linked to this specific account. Normally that allows you to keep access to it. In my case I’ve never installed 2.7.9. However on the uk app site those installing for the first time, can’t. I tried removing version 3 ( in its nascent unpurchased state ) but that didn’t work. The only remaining option for me is to remove 2.7.7 … and see if Apple only offer me 2.7.9. I didn’t want to do because I may lose content…

I would try the following: make a backup of your iPhone, so you can put everything back if the worst comes to the worst. If possible, synchronise DTTG with a different device so you could put the data back easily without restoring your phone). Reinstall DTTG 3. Start DTTG 3 so that your data is copied from DTTG 2 to 3 (use the trial period to do this). If you now delete DTTG 2, the data associated with DTTG 2 will be kept on the device by DTTG 3 for 4 weeks (don’t quote me on the 4 weeks - I think it was 4). Now go to the purchased section in the app store and download DTTG 2.7.9. I would expect that when you now open 2.7.9 your data will still be there (and will now remain there until you delete DTTG 2 again). You will not now be able to purchase DTTG 3, because no purchase options are available during the trial period. But you should now be able to purchase once the trial period ends. You can then delete 2.7.9.

If this were to fail, you can restore your data from the device you synced to; or by restoring your phone.

Thanks for the thought -

I just came to report removal worked, and saw your message so we doubled :slight_smile:

What I did is probably the lazy way - and just offload the App, retaining data.

uk Apple THEN admits they have 2.7.9 available, so I could install…

So Problem resolved.

Take home message - Apple’s UK statement is misleading

Ps I didn’t see a trial option for version 3 checking now the install …

Perfect :slight_smile: glad it worked for you - thanks for the feedback, which might well help others :slight_smile:

@Blanc That is exactly what we now also recommend in our premade reply in support.

We are in contact with the App Store Connect support for more than a week but to no avail. Their staff doesn’t seem to understand what we would like to accomplish (no longer sell DEVONthink To Go 2 but keep it available for updating and downloading for those who purchased it). Still trying.

That’s strange. I’ve got numerous apps that aren’t sold currently, but I can still download them from my purchase history.

1 Like

The problem seems to be that the current version (2.7.9) can only be downloaded if no previous version (e.g. 2.7.7) is installed; at the same time, an update from the previous to the “current” version is no longer offered. And yes, I would have thought that was something sufficiently common (company X wants to continue supporting its old user base but not sell the old product any more) that Apple would not only grasp the concept but simply offer a checkbox somewhere. You know, like
Remove from App Store :ballot_box_with_check:
Keep updates available :ballot_box_with_check:

There’s me dreaming in broad daylight again.

1 Like

For us there are just two statuses that we can give an app: removed from sale and removed from App Store. We chose the first one as it seems to provide what we want: no longer sell the app but keep it around. Not that the App Store Connect support staff seem to understand.

That’s mildly frustrating :coffee: