Upgrading from Personal to Pro on an indexed database?

Hello.

I would like to try moving from Personal to Pro, and instead of just moving the whole thing as one database, splitting it up into the logical databases by exporting before I do this. I read through the suggestions to Export to Finder and then import, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to export just the metadata of indexed files and have that be imported back in. Unless I’m missing something…

If I can’t do that, I’m guessing I will have to re-create the new indexed databases when I upgrade. It would be nice to preserve the tagging though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You could split the database after upgrading by moving the indexed material (e.g. via drag & drop or the contextual/action menus) to new dedicated databases. That’s probably the fastest and easiest approach.

That makes sense.

So then, what’s the best way to upgrade the entire database? I have seen many options in the forums.

Thanks.

After starting DEVONthink Pro for the first time it will automatically copy your existing Personal database to your Documents folder and open the copied database. That’s it.

Perfect. Thanks.

OK, I’ve upgraded from DT Personal (1.9) to DT Pro 2.0.6. The first time I opened it, a dialog DID ask to create a database in the Documents folder, but I didn’t understand why so cancelled.

Anyway, I tried re-starting but can’t get it to automatically copy my data over to Documents, and whatever else it needs to do. So how can I get it to access my old data?

Upgrading to version 2 and from Personal to Pro at the same time isn’t automatically handled. But there’s a simple workaround:

1. Install DEVONthink Personal 2, launch it. This should convert your 1.x database.
  2. Deinstall DEVONthink Personal 2 again.
  3. Copy the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 2 to the desktop or the Documents folder. Remove the subfolders “Plugins” and “Templates.noindex” from the copy and append the extension .dtBase2.

Afterwards double-clicking on it should open it in DEVONthink Pro 2.

Thanks for the help, it seems to be working fine now. Already discovering helpful new features in DT Pro 2!