URL Scheme for creating a bookmark to another URL scheme fails

Hey!

I’m creating some automations, and what I want to do is be able to create a group in DEVONthink, then a project in OmniFocus with a link to the group in DT, and then a bookmark to my OF project in my new DT group. I can do the first part no problem, but when I try the last step, I run into an error “Couldn’t find link for item”.

The URL I’m calling to add the bookmark looks like this:

x-devonthink-item://x-callback-url/createbookmark?location=omnifocus%3A%2F%2F%2Ftask%2Fn-toIKVsG13&title=OmniFocus%20Project&destination=B8808862-C102-4A48-B391-ABB8B95A85E0

The destination was parsed from the itemlink returned from the group I created before, and when I remove it the same error occurs. This leads me to think that the OmniFocus URL is causing the problem - but, just to increase the intrigue, when I go to create a new item in DT with the OF URL on my clipboard, it suggests a bookmark!

Is this a limitation of the URL scheme or something else?

The destination URL shouldn’t be a problem, of course, but there might be safety checks that kick in here. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

1 Like

@RosemaryOrchard, I just tried to build a similar shortcut/workflow and it worked. And I think I’ve just spotted the problem. You use this URL:

x-devonthink-item://x-callback-url/createbookmark?location=omnifocus%3A%2F%2F%2Ftask%2Fn-toIKVsG13&title=OmniFocus%20Project&destination=B8808862-C102-4A48-B391-ABB8B95A85E0

However, it shouldn’t be x-devonthink-item:// but actually x-devonthink:// … That’s why DEVONthink To Go claims that it “couldn’t find link for item” as you’re trying to retrieve an item here with an item link.

This how it looks for me here:

1 Like