URLs embedded in emails from Apple Mail archived in DT not clickable?

Yes, what edition are you running?

That one, says the OP

Same.

Emails aren’t supported in the Standard edition, so it’s not possible to switch to a different display mode for them.

Thanks for clarifying. Am I correct in thinking that if I upgrade to Pro, links within emails will be clickable, since emails are supported?

Yes and the content of emails will be indexed and searchable too. Currently you’re adding emails but won’t be able to search them in the Standard edition.

Okay, hadn’t realized that. Thanks for explaining, BLUEFROG—although I used the Pro edition of DT 2, I didn’t go Pro when I upgraded to 3, for reasons I now forget.

And thanks for the pointers Blanc.

1 Like

you’re most welcome :slight_smile:

You’re welcome and yes, the Pro edition is definitely worth the investment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey CWC…so you’re good? I saw your email earlier today and just signed in. Haven’t used DT in about 10 years. I see Bluefrog responded. He’s a great guy. Let me know if you’re good.

best

2 Likes

I’m good! Thanks for checking in!

FYI…

I use eml files all the time and would add that if you want to use them on ios with DTTG then the only app I found to work is AltaMail. I can share the eml file from DTTG and forward or reply to the email from there. Unfortunately AltaMail is a subscription, but at $10 per year, I find that acceptable and the service/support is great. Not many clients support multifactor with Office 365.

You could create a shortcut in Apple’s Shortcuts.app:

• accepts URLs
  • split input at in-reply-to=
  • get object 2
  • create a URL by combining message:// and previous step’s result
  • open URL

Add the shortcut to your share sheet and you can forward or reply to a mail without AltaMail.

Or am I missing something?

@pete31 Thanks for that tip. It got it to work with a coupon type email sent to my gmail account, but it did not work when the eml file was from Office 365 Exchange, with and without an attachment.

I also need the other direction which is sending email on ios to DTTG. The Apple Mail app does not have the Share Sheet option.

I enjoyed trying this out and learned something new, so thanks again for sharing.

1 Like

I’m having this exact problem. Links aren’t clickable in “Best Alternative” mode, but they work fine when opening the .eml in Mail or using the “Text Alternative” mode. Links are recognized in “Best Alternative” (the little gray triangle e.g. appears). This is on DT Pro 3.7.2 - any ideas @BlueFrog?

This mode (and its features) is based on Quick Look and not customizable.

That’s too bad - making it much less useful. You have better knowledge than me, but wouldn’t shouldOpenURL in QLPreviewControllerDelegate allow this or am I misinterpreting the QuickLook API / code?

/*
 * @abstract Invoked by the preview controller before trying to open an URL tapped in the preview.
 * @result Returns NO to prevent the preview controller from calling -[UIApplication openURL:] on url.
 * @discussion If not implemented, defaults is YES.
 */
- (BOOL)previewController:(QLPreviewController *)controller shouldOpenURL:(NSURL *)url forPreviewItem:(id <QLPreviewItem>)item;

Digging a bit deeper, there’s also some background on it here (Swift):

It’s quite common for links to be existing to the documents previewed by the Quick Look Preview Controller. When that happens, there might be cases where you would like the links to be working, but there are also cases where the links should trigger no action at all. The following delegate method exists for that reason exactly, as it’s the perfect place to apply your logic and allow or prevent links from opening the target URL(s).

This is an iOS-only controller.

Ah too bad - there’s no alternative to do the same on macOS / Cocoa?

Unfortunately not.