Used Databases don't show up in "Used Databases"

That’s pretty much it. I just moved my financial stuff into its own DB, after having everything in one single DB for a long time.
I cleaned it up a bit and closed it, but now it doesn’t show up under “Used Databases”.
I marked it as a favorite, so I don’t have to go through the Finder to open it, but I’m still wondering what goes wrong here.

If a database is a Favorite, then it will not appear in Recent Databases – this to avoid cluttering the display. (There is no “Used Databases” section, AFAIK).

Thanks for the tip, but I only put it into the Favorites because it didn’t show up.

Ah … it’s a relative new UI thing with Apple apps …

Hover your mouse to the right of the “Recent Databases” label and a clickable label “Show” will appear. Click it to show that section of the sidebar. When the section is shown, hover again and “Hide” will appear.

Nope, that’s not it.

If this helps: when I go into the menu, the list of recent databases also remains empty, so this might be an OS problem, not a DEVONthink one.

Odd. If you open then close the database again does it appear in Recents?

(You didn’t perhaps ‘create’ the new database by going to Finder and copying another already existing database? That can cause problems with DEVONthink because each database has a unique identifier, and copying a database in the file system doesn’t give the copied database a new identifier. Copying can cause DEVONthink to consider the two databases as the same thing.)

I opened and closed both databases, neither of them shows up under “recents”.

I created the new one in DEVONthink, via the “+” button.

But it really seems to be an OS issue. I just checked Byword, and in the menu, the “recent documents” list is empty. I never noticed this before.
(That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a new issue, I never use this in programms other than DEVONthink.)

You might want to check, what the setting in > System Preferences > General > “Recent items”. Also there are many system utilities - e.g. “TinkerTool” - that allow you to modify this setting.

However I have the same issue since many versions of DEVONthink Pro Office, but apart from a short try to find or fix the issue never cared for it, neither have I looked at other apps for this issue.
But I found that the “recent databases” are shown correctly, when I use DEVONthink Pro Office with another user account. So the problem is somewhere in my account and not related to DEVONthink Pro Office in my opinion.

That did it!
It’s totally possible that it was TinkerTool or Onyx or something like that.

Thanks a lot.

Now that’s a win-win situation: Because you reported that my suggestion works for you, I just trashed the “com.apple.systempreferences.plist” and “com.apple.systempreferences.plist.lockfile” in ~/Library/Preferences and restarted my Mac and now it works here too.
Changing the value of recent items to be remembered in the system preference never worked for me, so it was something with the plist.

Thank you too. :slight_smile:

I live to give.