using a mix of indexing and importing data

I am using a mix of indexing and importing data. Some of the indexed data files, not the DTPO database, are kept in Dropbox.

I have 3 mac computers and an ipad pro which I use all almost daily, all with DTPO/DTTG to keep them synced up to each other.

Does the forum have thoughts about (1). indexing a set of files in a Dropbox folder on ONE computer and then just letting it sync to the other devices via DTPO sync VERSUS (2) indexing the set of files on all the computers when I happen to be using that computer AND letting the DTPO sync process work to keep all the devices in sync with the latest changes.

Another question: I like having files in dropbox and it syncs them amongst all my devices. But it obviously doesn’t have the ability of DTPO to work with the data so I will keep using DTPO. What might the advantages and disadvantages of using Dropbox to keep original files synchronized amongst all the devices versus just having the original data on ONE computer and letting DTPO handling all the syncing. I would end up with original files spread amongst the different computers, I guess. Thoughts?

DEVONthink’s synchronization doesn’t synchronize files in cloud folders on its own, it’s up to the cloud client to perform this. Otherwise e.g. Dropbox.app would create duplicates. DEVONthink therefore synchronizes only the metadata of indexed items located in cloud folders.

Got it. Sorry, My question wasn’t clear.
Scenario 1: dropbox folder on one computer. Index the files in dropbox folder with DTPO so I have a DTPO database with same file information as the dropbox but can use DTPO to analyze the data files. When I sync DTPO to my other devices the DTPO database is propagated to the other devices where I can access it. I do nothing with the Dropbox folder, it remains only on the original computer [and in the Dropbox cloud of course].

Scenario 2: dropbox folder on one computer. Index the files in dropbox folder with DTPO so I have a DTPO database with same file information as the dropbox but can use DTPO to analyze the data files. When I sync DTPO to my other devices the DTPO database is propagated to the other devices where I can access it. BUT now I also sync , using Dropbox technology, the Dropbox folder to all the other devices. NET EFFECT: i have the file information in DTPO on each device, and Dropbox folders with the files on every device.

Seems like it could be overkill, except then I have copies of the files on each device for redundancy. [ i also back up all the devices using 3-2-1 onsite/offsite system, the dropbox is not my backup]

At long last my question: is there any particular advantage or disadvantage to Scenario 1 or Scenario 2? Mostly just curious see thoughts.

Not overkill at all. I would not rely on having data just exist in the cloud. Local resources are faster and more reliable than any cloud served data.

PS: If you index the files from your local Dropbox on machine 1, but don’t use Dropbox to Sync locally to machine 2… what files do you think the indexed data in the database on machine 2 will be pointing at??

I was thinking the indexed data in the [DTPO] database on machine 2 would not really be pointing at any dropbox data, EXCEPT in an indirect sense since the DTPO database is synced to machine 2, and the DTPO database on Machine 1 is indexing/pointing to the Dropbox folder on machine 1. My terminology may not be correct here.

Dropbox folder on machine 1 <====> indexed to DTPO “dropbox folder” database machine 1 <=====> syncs to DTPO “dropbox folder” database machine 2 =/= no dropbox folder on machine 2

This will lead to missing files on machine 2. The records have to point somewhere. They are not going to point to machine 1’s Dropbox folder.

Ok, a thought experiment: if I have a single file on Machine 1 and then index it to a newly created database in DTPO on that machine, there will now exist a new DTPO database with one indexed file in it.

If i sync the newly created DTPO database to machine 2, the single file does appear in the synced DTPO database and does have the little “index arrow” to the right of the file name. I don’t know where it is pointed other than indicating it is an indexed file.

I just tested this with 2 MBPros and it worked fine. No file disappeared. The single file shows up in the DTPO database on both machines as an indexed file and apparently is intact.

So I don’t understand how this approach leads to missing files. Obviously I don’t want to lose files! Help.

Also,If I have the actual original files on every machine then I do not need to use DTPO sync because I can just created indexed databases on every machine pointing to the files. I have 2TB SSD’s so space is not an issue, i just want to set it up the way that is safest to not lose the original files.

You can see this in Tools > Show Info or right-click > Show In Finder.

The indexed file is Synced to a relative location - locally - on the other machine, assuming you are Synchronizing contents of indexed items. If you don’t use that option you will end up with missing files if machine 2 isn’t using Dropbox to sync locally.

If you index a file on your Desktop then Sync to machine 2, you will end up with a file on machine 2’s desktop.

Also, you are missing the point of Sync if you think that just having the files on each machine can replace it. Sync is about keeping the databases mirrored between devices. You can index and reorganize in DEVONthink and this would NOT be reflected on machine 2 without Sync (or manually reorganzing it too).

Thanks for the explanations. I do understand the power of sync with DTPO databases to mirror them among devices. That’s why DTTG with the better sync was so welcome.

I did not realize that the indexed files would show up on machine 2 [ and they did!]. I will do some digging in the manual and think on this some more. Great conversation!

No problem. Cheers!