Using DEVONthink (To Go) as a Kindle/Books replacement?

You can’t export images in am MD file any more than you can with HTML. Or rather: you technically could, but you don’t want to. And yes, DT does not support images in annotations (neither does Preview, btw), while DTTG does. As has been recently discussed here.

3 Likes

Just a thought. This could be an opportunity to consider separate databases for different research projects/areas. It’s not an easy answer I know and will be different for everyone. I started out wanting one database for everything, but after 10 months of working in DEVONthink, I have separated out to a couple of separate ones and it makes sense to me. This gives you syncing flexibility also.

I resisted this at first, not wanting to create “walls” in my knowledge garden, but the way DEVONthink works is that you can have multiple databases open at one time so you lose nothing.

2 Likes

Some call this folder “Incubate”

1 Like

…and that’s why I don’t use it. It seems to be nice app and has a loyal following over in the Hookmark camp, but the non-standard annotations makes no sense for me. Interesting why they went down this path.

2 Likes

Since we’re losing a lot of context here: there is nothing else but proprietary annotations with ePub. Although theoretically a standard for ePub annotations exists, nobody is using it. So, skim using something proprietary is neither here nor there – everybody does in this context.

If you were referring to something else then ePub, ignore this post, please.

Sorry I was referring to annotations in PDF.

I access my books folder mostly via the iOS Files app and Finder (as I move them into and out of DT) so it works fine for me. I don’t really use Calibre for managing the books, just converting the files, updating details, etc. However I’ve not noticed that my duplicate annotated copies actually appear in Calibre even though they’re in the same folders, so I assume Calibre doesn’t notice unless I tell it (I’ve not looked closely - but bear in mind that as far as Calibre’s concerned they are different files - the file names are different).

1 Like