Using DT / DTTG and a reference manager and Onyx Boox (Android)

Hi, I wondered if anyone here has experience of using DTTG on an iPad and also making documents accessible on an e-ink device (Onyx Boox, which is Android) and had any tips?

I’m trying to find a workflow from keeping all documents in DT, then adding those (or the reference of those) I need to work on to a reference manager, but be able to access documents from the Onyx Boox.

I’ve been searching the forums for helpful workflows, but before I continue, I wonder if anyone has recent experience of using this combination of devices and has any tips?

1 Like

First time I’ve ever heard of Onyx Book, but perhaps someone else knows it.

Thanks. They’re just eink android devices, but the laggy nature of eink means that cross platform third party PDF / note apps that might normally allow easy syncing between ipad / android aren’t great to use. So I’m not really expecting an approach that allows syncing of annotations, but I thought it was worth asking.

It’s always worth asking. That’s how we learn :slight_smile:

I don’t use DTTG much, so don’t have anything useful to contribute for your particular combination, but I do use the Boox Max Lumi with DT on desktop as my main combination of document management and reading tools – indexed document collections on desktop for search-based reading, and moving single documents manually to the Boox for sustained reading. Since you’re normally only doing the latter with one document at a time, I haven’t found it inconvenient simply to transfer documents manually with AFT, singly or in batch selections, but I’m not sure there’s an easy way to do that from iPad; I suppose I’d be looking at a cloud-based workflow, maybe using the Boox’s custom version of Evernote, but it would need thinking through.

I also sometimes use the Max Lumi’s Monitor function to host a DT window on it as an e-ink second monitor, though the resolution settings on the Lumi are rather frustrating (especially in portrait orientation) even with SwitchResX. But it’s a wonderful device, despite the sometimes rather clunky onboard software (especially for document annotation, which is very awkward, though the handwriting recognition is surprisingly good). Once you’ve experienced double-page PDF views on a large-screen e-ink reader, you’ll never go back. I don’t use much third-party software on it, but @tja will be amused to hear that Wotja runs brilliantly.

Boox have now got into the e-ink monitor business in a serious way with their Mira series. I’m keenly waiting for the Mira Pro to become available outside China; it looks like it’s what DT was made for.

Thanks Nick. I have the smaller Booxs (ha! How do you make a plural of Boox?) - the Note 3 which is kind of standard ipad size,and the Nova 3 which is more mini ipad. I got the two as they’re more portable for me than one bigger one with split screen. And I’ve always been a fan of the 7inch form factor.

I don’t use them nearly enough, mainly because of the lack of a work flow from DT / OS to Android, but when I do I absolutely love them - SO much easier on the eyes.

To be honest, I don’t NEED the annotations to sync because my annotations on initial reading, which is what I use Boox for, is often very different to what the final state of annotation that I desire to remind me what the paper was about.

I don’t help myself in terms of workflow in that I tend to gather all of the reading material for a topic on my course at once - which can be upwards of 40 PDFs rather than one at a time as you recommend - and then I get overwhelmed :joy::joy: I think I need to work out this workflow first!!