Using DT3 with a Onyx Boox (Android Based E-Reader)

I manage my reference library documents in a DT3 database. I want to be able to open and markup those pdf documents on my Onyx Boox android-based ereader. This reader is basically an android tablet with an e-ink screen and can install apps from the play store. Is there any way to access my documents with such a device?

I have had one idea, but not sure it makes sense or if it would mess up my database: Move my DT3 Library database into a dropbox folder on Mac and using dropbox android app to access documents on my tablet.

That is not recommended, and DT will actually inhibit you from creating a database in a cloud location; placing a database in a cloud location will likely lead to data corruption.

I see a couple of options:

• you could index items rather than keeping them in a database; those indexed items can be stored in a cloud location.
  • use DT3 Server, which can make items available across platforms using a web browser.
3 Likes

not sure if this addresses your use case, but this is how I use my onyx boox with DT:

maybe this helps…

1 Like

I think I need to try this. A few more questions about this:

• Would changes made on my e-reader pdf editor sync back through the cloud to my indexed DT3?
  • Is there a good way to move a DT database to an index?
  • What are the downsides of using an indexed file directory instead of a DT database?
  • Could this screw up my ability to sync DT3 on MacOS w/ the IOS DTTG?

Thanks! I think this helps me understand what can and cannot work.

• Would changes made on my e-reader pdf editor sync back through the cloud to my indexed DT3?

If the local cloud folder was indexed in DEVONthink, then yes. However, you may still need to use the File > Update Indexed Items command to update the indexed cloud folder.

• Is there a good way to move a DT database to an index?

You don’t move a DT database to an index. You can have a mix of imported and indexed items in a DEVONthink database.

• Could this screw up my ability to sync DT3 on MacOS w/ the IOS DTTG?

No, the ability to sync is not affected by indexing. However, DEVONthink To Go doesn’t support indexing so there will be local copies of the files on your mobile device, i.e., not pointing to files in another location.

• What are the downsides of using an indexed file directory instead of a DT database?

Indexing is discussed in the Help > DEVONthink 3 Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing, especially the Indexing and the file system section. Pay special attention to the Indexing and the filesystem section so you understand how actions in DEVONthink can affect files in the file system.

1 Like