Using DTPO with multiple computers

Okay, let me just say I absolutely LOVE DTPO. It’s by far the best personal/professional organizer I’ve tried - and I’ve tried them all.

However, I just started a business and I’ll be working in 2-3 offices throughout the week. I have a desktop computer in my main office and a laptop I bring to the other offices.

So is there any way to use DTPO with multiple computers? I searched the archives on this a while back, and the consensus seemed to be “no”.

Unfortunately this is a dealbreaker for me now. I absolutely have to be able to access my files while on the road and away from the main office. The Dropbox option doesn’t seem like a good one, because I can’t trust myself to always remember to close DTPO on my main computer before leaving and using it on my laptop.

Is there anything I can do, or am I out of luck? I asked this question a year ago, and was told that MobileMe Sync is in the works. Has that been shelved? Are there any new options?

Of course you can use a database on more than one computer. Just don’t do it simultaneously.

Search the forums again. This topic is covered over and over. Many users do what you want to do, and they have explained exactly what they do.

I did search the forums but as I mentioned, I am not comfortable with the risk involved if I accidentally leave one instance of DTPO running and then open another on a different computer. I simply know that I can’t guarantee I’ll remember to shut down DTPO before leaving 100% of the time. And from what I’ve heard, it’s a complete disaster if this happens.

If I missed something, please let me know. If there’s another, better solution, if you could tell me what it is I’d appreciate it.

There is no solution to using a database on more than one computer that doesn’t rely on the user to quit the application when needed. Once you’ve solved the user issue, you can proceed to use any number of tools to copy a database from one computer to another.

How about using DEVONthink To Go as a sync hub? Isn’t sync between DT and DTTG supposed to work without closing DT?

DEVONthink To Go syncs to DEVONthink without closing, but it cannot be used as a hub. The databases available to sync is determined by the paired device that is selected before syncing. In other words, files/databases synced to DEVONthink To Go from Mac A are not available to sync to Mac B, etc.