Using File, Import, From Scanner in DTPO

I have the latest version of DTPO (1.5.4), a ScanSnap S510M (which has been set up with DTPO as the default scanning application in ScanSnap Manager) and using Mac OS 10.5 Leopard. I am puzzled as your pdf Help file and video tutorial on the web site indicate that the scanning process starts by selecting (in DTPO) File, Import, From Scanner, Capture. I don’t have the From Scanner option; only Document (via ExactScan) or Document (via Image Capture). I am not able to scan using these options as neither of them will recognize the ScanSnap scanner.

I am able to scan from the ScanSnap into DTPO when I initiate the process via the Scan button on the ScanSnap. However, your documentation and video tutorial show a scan preview window which allows the adjustment of the size of the scanned document and also a scanned document window which allows the adding or pages and, more importantly, a drag and drop option to re-order the pages (toggle drawer window). These options don’t seem to be available now. What would I need to do to be able to utilize the functionality of the preview window and the scanned document window? I very much like the option of being able to make these adjustments before the final pdf document is created and saved. To my knowledge, it is not possible to do this afterwards.

Thanks very much for your help.

That’s because there are different scanners and drivers on the market. :slight_smile:

My ScanSnap is a little wonder. It’s definitely my favorite scanner and it is insanely faster than my CanoScan LIDE 500F, which I use for scanning bound copy.

The ScanSnap is controlled by ScanSnap Manager, and a scan and OCR is initiated by pushing the Scan button on the scanner.

The CanoScan is controlled by DTPO2 and I initiate scan and OCR by choosing File > Import > Document (with ExactScan). Or I could use the alternative command to control the scanner via Image Capture.

It’s true that Image Capture allows one to resize the scanned area. That’s because flatbed scanner have a fixed area. Want to scan a small item, such as a check, and have the resulting image limited to that item? Image Capture will let you resize the scanned area following a preview scan. It’s a slow and clumsy process, especially if you are inserting copy of different sizes. I hate that. Please let me disabuse you of the idea that you want something like that when using your ScanSnap.

The ScanSnap handles items of different sizes much more pleasantly, especially if you feed the copy in a sheet at a time. For items with different page widths, adjust the scanner’s paper guides to fit the different paper sizes and ScanSnap Manager will automatically size the scan image.

Example: I want to scan, OCR and store as a single searchable PDF 4 pieces of paper, as follows: 1) product specifications; 2) cash register receipt for the purchase; 3) cancelled check used for the purchase; 4) salesman’s business card. So I’ve got four pieces of paper, each with a different size. I want each image to be of a different size, without excessive margin areas.

That’s a relatively pleasant procedure when it’s done on the ScanSnap. It’s a very painful and tedious procedure when done using Image Capture on my CanoScan scanner.

The secret with ScanSnap Manager is to check the option in the Scanning tab, ‘Continue scanning after current scan is finished’. So I insert copy, press the Scan button on the scanner, adjust the paper guide and insert the next copy, etc. When the last item has been scanned I click the ‘Finish’ button on the ScanSnap manager scan panel and the 4-page PDF is sent to DTPO2 for OCR and storage.

You also mentioned that you saw page order being changed prior to finishing an Image Capture scan. Believe me, that’s more quickly and pleasantly done within DTPO2 after the scan has been OCRd.

Bottom line: Don’t wish for features of flatbed scanners that, if you had them, would be much less pleasant to use than those ScanSnap Manager makes available for your ScanSnap. :slight_smile:

Easy but sometimes not so pleasant. It may be my particular unit but moving those guides is a PITA as it requires both hands and a long stretch across acres of my workbench.

Are we visiting Pleasantville, New York, today Mr. DeVille? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

All kidding aside, Bill’s comments regarding the SnapScan are right on the money. It’s extremely flexible, easy to use, even easier to set up, and sits there out of the way until you need it. You don’t even need to switch on the power as the top feeder guide folds down and actuates a small contact switch to turn it off until you need it.

Bill…

Thanks for your helpful reply. Your suggestion of checking the option ‘Continue scanning after current scan is finished’ was a good one.

Your reply also included the following:

I would be happy to structure my workflow this way but am unable to glean from the documentation how to alter page order (or make any other changes) after the scan has been saved in DTPO. Please advise the procedure for doing this. I am using version 1.5.4 and not the beta 2.0.

Thanks and also thanks to Tod for his comments. I am confident that the DTPO/ScanSnap combo is a great way to archive documents.

Page order can be changed directly in DTPO2 by displaying the icons of PDFs and moving them into the desired order, then Save the PDF.

In DTPO 1.5.4, open the PDF in Preview and reorder the page icons, then Save the PDF.

Usually V1.x does not support external editing contrary to v2. In this case (reordering pages of a PDF) it should work as this has almost no impact on the search index & concordance.

Bill…

This works fine; now I am a happy camper! Looking forward to the alpha version of DTPO2

Russell

Umm - err - I hate to break it to you but since late last year DT has been issuing progressively better betas of DTPO2. go here and read all about it then download it. It’s a stable release and has a lot of new features. It’s easy to convert your present 1.x databases into 2.x format, plus it leaves your 1.x databases intact in case you need to go back for some reason.