Using multiple sync methods with one or more databases

I’ve been syncing via Bonjour and Dropbox for several years with only minor issues. Sometimes deleted files reappear and stuff like that. As you say, there are too many “sync error” notifications which always make you feel like something is wrong when it isn’t. For instance, I get an error saying the Bonjour server is busy a lot. But in general the syncing is solid, it does feel like I need to monitor it a bit though. So, every week I get all my devices together and let them all sync via both Bonjour and Dropbox until they all visibly match each other regarding counts in the databases and so forth. It just seems to need this every now and then, so I do it every week.

Apologies for asking this in an old thread, but the situation described by avatar (https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/using-multiple-sync-methods-with-one-or-more-databases/48432/16) matches my setup, except I’m using Cloudkit instead of Dropbox, and I have a few problems with it.

If I disable Cloudkit syncing while my iPad and iPhone are at home - so that they sync to my iMac using Bonjour - when I enable Cloudkit, syncing in DTTG takes a very long time, and performance is affected. Navigating between groups and documents can take several seconds between each click, and searches become almost unusable because there is a delay between each letter I type appearing in the search box.

If I leave both sync locations enabled, there are the same performance issues. Even if the Bonjour sync is up to date, meaning that all the documents and groups on the iPad or iPhone should be identical to those in both sync locations, DDTG slowly syncs with the Cloudkit location, resulting in reduced performance.

Can you suggest anything that would stop the DTTG syncs with Cloudkit hogging resources when the documents are already up to date?

If you’re unhappy with Cloudkit sync and Bonjour does what you want, simply turn it off. What’s the point of using it if you it’s slow (and unreliable for many people here)?

BTW: It is not a good idea to hijack a thread that is over three years old. Technology advances, and what might have been correct/wrong three years ago might be wrong/correct now.

1 Like

Thanks. I use CloudKit so that I can sync when not on my network.

I take your point about an old thread.

Which begs the question if that is necessary.

1. You are abroad and modify/add/delete content on your mobile device. Is somebody at your desktop machine or another mobile device at the same time who needs to see this modified/added content immediately (or notice that it has been deleted)?
  2. Same question for “someone is abroad” and “you are at home”

If your answer to these questions is “no”, what do you need a remote sync for? This technique is only needed if different people work with the same content at the same time.

2 Likes

I must admit I (stupidly) hadn’t thought about it like that. Problem solved, thanks.

3 Likes

Surely it’s also useful if you have DTTG set so that items are downloaded only ‘on demand’ (to save space)? If you only use bonjour sync, and you’re away from your local network, and you see a file you want to work on (or just view), you can’t even download it unless you have a secondary sync option (like Dropbox or whatever).

Though it technically depends on the hardware involved in the situation, generally using a shallow sync would be used with a remote sync option.

I agree. But it remains that if you’re in the scenario I described, only an internet-based sync option is going to allow you to see and edit that file.