V2.11.3 RTF links disappear when exported

I like to take RTFs from DTPO and make them available through cloud services. These RTFs contain clickable links which I’d expect to work on mobile devices.

The “catch” is some of these links are there and some are not. This happens when printed as PDFs and with .gdoc versions of the RTFs. Both the preferred mobile formats.

It does not seem to happen when RTFs are converted to HTML, but this is a two step procedure creating an unnecessary duplicate in DTPO.

Looking at the RTF code doesn’t show any difference between when links remain and when they disappear. At least to dummie me.

I’ve attached some Link Example files of the RTF code and the results with and without links.

Any comments appreciated.Link Examples.zip (27.9 KB)

The links in the PDF are behaving as expected here.

Google docs (as well as other apps)_ likely don’t recognize URL schemes and that would be something we have no control over.

What?? Links on the first and third lines in Link Examples.pdf disappeared when viewed on two computers and three operating systems here.

The files were created from the DTPO RTFs using Print or Save to PDF. The links don’t even show in the macOS print preview.

This is your file in Preview on macOS 10.14.6.

Thanks for quickly checking it. Yes, same here. But if you look at the original RTF or the exported HTML there are 4 links. A link on each line. Not 2 out of 4.

The test is simplified. Disappearing links in longer documents are random. And the same links are missing in PDFs or RTF-to-GDOC documents.

This happens even in TextEdit, so it’s not a DEVONthink issue.

Thanks again for checking into this. I’m not a TextEdit user, so unaware. Does DTPO use the same Apple engine as TextEdit for RTFs?

Next step is a script to create (convert) a HTML from a RTF and then put it somewhere not creating a duplicate record in DTPO.

Does DTPO use the same Apple engine as TextEdit for RTFs?

Yes, it does.

Next step is a script to create (convert) a HTML from a RTF and then put it somewhere not creating a duplicate record in DTPO.

You want to create an HTML file from an RTF but not preserve the RTF? Is that correct?

Are you aware you can already convert files from RTF to HTML via Data > Convert > to HTML?

Not quite. The RTF stays in DTPO and the HTML only used for distribution through cloud services (with clickable links).

That’s what I’d do or right-click the record. The script idea would be simply to eliminate the duplicate record (HTML) created in DTPO.

You could select the RTF(s) and try using File > Export > as Website.

That gives you at least two files, one HTML and one website.css.

Yes, I can you can merely remove the CSS file. But the point is it allows you to export an HTML file outside the database for use elsewhere, per your previous comments.

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. I think the HTML duplicate record in DTPO then dragged to its final location is the technique that works for me. And it retains the original RTF formatting.

No problem. :slight_smile: