WARNING - if you index files, BE CAREFUL with how you install new Dropbox + Mac OS [edited!]

I’ll tell you one thing I’m kicking myself for is, I wonder if I simply hadn’t opened DevonThink until the DropBox update finished, whether it all would have been just fine. One thing I’ve noticed is that legacy DropBox links in the Finder are all still working fine, like on Finder window sidebars and stuff. Somehow Dropbox created a way to “catch” those links and redirect them to the correct new spot, maybe that “catcher” would have caught the DevonThink links too??

Anyway. Spilled milk.

Here you go…

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

lolsob : )

1 Like

A big thank you to the posters here, as it helped me solve a closely related problem. I also upgraded to the new Dropbox without giving much thought to the impact on DT, notices some indexed files disappearing, and figured I would need to re-build the indexed directory from scratch.

However, for various other reasons, I’ve decided to migrate from Dropbox to SyncThing. As I had bulk moved my folders from Dropbox to a folder now maintained by SyncThing, I just had to change the path settings for each folder as noted above, and everything’s back to normal with not much effort.

1 Like

Just make sure to keep your DEVONthink databases out of that location :wink:

1 Like

Indeed - nor any other sync’d location. Very happy with iCloud sync!

1 Like

Guys
I’m pleased I subscribed to this discourse. So many interesting pieces about working methods etc.

I’m worried about tripping over this Dropbox update and it breaking my database though.
I’ve read the posts thoroughly but I’m not gleaning whether this is a one off (or few occurrences) or is there perhaps something we should all be doing in order to avoid irreparable damage?
@Bluefrog?

Thanks.

Are you indexing files from your local Dropbox folder?

Hi Jim,
no, Dropbox is just the sync location - may database (I just have one) is in mac OS username / databases. Maybe that means I am unaffected by these changes?
thanks lots
have a good week

You should be good in this case as DEVONthink doesn’t use the Dropbox application. It syncs directly to Dropbox’s servers.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes