Web clipper question

I often have difficulties clipping and archiving dynamic web pages. How would you go about clipping this article, for example: https://www.e-flux.com/architecture/becoming-digital/248062/open-verification/

I have tried (in both Safari and Firefox) clipping as a PDF, as well as Print->Export as PDF to DevonThink, with no success. Images are always missing. Many thanks for any ideas or potential solutions. My workflow is somewhat dependent on the ability to collect such information.

There isn’t a simple answer to this. This is designed in a very particular way that makes clipping this difficult.

Thanks for your super prompt response Jim, as always. Darn dynamic pages. I wonder if there is a dynamic to static browser extension/plugin—or a script—to make such possible.

If you use that specific site a lot, you could request that they start including more print-friendly styles for their more dynamic layouts. (Seriously, any designer doing dynamic design really should (in theory) do this by default!)

You’re welcome. Sadly, many web developers are following these trends. Fortunately, there is still a ton of good information on other sites that don’t design like this. :slight_smile:

I would suggest taking a look at PrintFriendly I tested that page and it grabbed the images correctly. Here is what that page would look like via PDFFriendly.

It has a Firefox extension and a Safari Bookmarklet, both work well. It gives you multiple export options, as well as the ability to delete parts of the page so it doesn’t end up in the PDF. I would definitely recommend taking a look.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. PrintFriendly looks useful, and I’ll give it a try. Thanks again!

So, interestingly, in Safari if you click on the “Reader” option in the toolbar (or “Show Reader” from view), and then “Export as PDF” the images come through.

That might help some.