Web text highlighting tips?

The Take Rich/Plain Note services might be an option and also grab the URL of the web page.

Good advice, I tried it with Markdown, which I prefer, and it worked well to catch the text – OK rtf would even get pictures, so I will try this as well.

It needs some fiddling afterwards, since one cannot sponateously comment on the highlight, this is why I was looking for a solution with the sorter.

Thanks for the workaround.

A smart rule could convert the rich note to Markdown automatically.

Great! Thanks for the advice.

I decided on Raindrop.io: They have a much better web app and a good iOS app.

I’ve been pondering how to get highlights into DT without extra admin. I use Readwise’s Reader app. I still print webpages to PDF if I want the whole article, but sometimes I don’t want the whole article.

My solution that I tested this month and decided to take forward is to run Obsidian specifically just for the Readwise integration. (I don’t use Obsidian for anything else.) It’s free, and I leave it open on my Mac (unfortunately that does mean it sits in my dock permanently, I don’t have a solution to that yet!). The Readwise integration syncs my highlights as markdown to the Obsidian folder throughout the day.

I’ve indexed this folder in my database in DT, and every couple of days I do housekeeping to import the files into my database (using the move into database menu action) and file to the correct place. This means my Obsidian folder only ever has items in it I have not processed yet. There is no need to go into Obsidian the app at all (in fact I haven’t for weeks), and all admin is done in DT.

Readwise lets you customise the content of markdown exports, so I’ve set up the layout I want for each highlight and it includes a URL to the original webpage. If I have also printed the page to PDF in my database, I simply add an item link to the markdown file during processing, along with a tag on both the PDF and the markdown file so that I know there is a corresponding note. This is important for me as some highlights don’t have the corresponding original webpage in DT, and some webpages in DT don’t have any highlights. I need to know when I should go look for a markdown file about the page.

Anyway this was a rather random solution but I thought I’d share it since it’s free and requires no unnecessary admin once set up!

1 Like