.webloc vs .dtLink and pdf thumbnails

Hi there!

I’m enthusiastically trying out DT. Marvelous product by all accounts – well done developers!!! (sound of much clapping)

I have two questions/queries about functioning that I’m curious about: (I’m trialing 1.7.1)

  1. When I export a folder containing ‘.webloc’ files – they are changed afterwards in the Finder to ‘.dtLink’ files. This means I’m unable to double-click on the desktop to open them in a browser. Is there any way I can retain the .webloc Finder-behaviour, or am I perhaps not exporting correctly?
    (I ask, as backing up files with their original extensions is quite an important requirement for me with regards to URL’s especially.)

  2. Some imported pdf previews (in the split view pane) are appearing horizontally ‘squashed’. When exporting them out again and opening in Acrobat or Preview they seem fine, and also when double-clicking and opening them in a DT window they are normal dimensions. I have tried removing and recreating thumbnails. Just wondering why the squishy thing might be happening?

Aside from the above, I’d like to add to the positive feedback you receive here and on VersionTracker – this programme seems like a ‘miracle’ amongst many that do a 10th as much.

:slight_smile:

Farscape
x

  1. dtLink files contain the URL, the path and the comment of a link (and webLoc files can’t store all this information). In addition, dtLink files are XML files and therefore it’s easy to add additional information to them in the future.

  2. Could you provide us some example PDF documents? Thanks.

Thank you for your reply.

  1. The .dtLink info retention sounds very useful.
    However, unless there’s something I’m not getting – the format doesn’t seem to leave any choice to the user with regards to which software you can use to migrate, open, or move URL/link files around.

URL’s having to be opened with DT and with nothing else, not even via the Finder, is a little bit too monopolistic in my humble opinion.
As much as I love what it does (really!!) I’m reluctant to commit to DT if it won’t retain original file formats on exporting.

Will .webloc-only exporting possibly be a choice for exporting in a future version maybe…?

  1. I’m having trouble reproducing this problem regularly with the same pdf’s and gifs. In the time I have left with DT, I’ll keep any eye on it, and send an example through if I can faithfully produce the problem regularly with specific pdf’s.

Best,

F
x

This will be probably added to v1.7.x (x>2) or v1.8.

Hi SDuncan,

Your quick response is much appreciated.
I will look forward to the future versions of DT then. (Whilst I may be the only person thats mentioned this aspect of exporting, I’m sure it would be handy rather than not, to give the users a choice in this matter – would make DT even MORE indispensable perhaps!)

Until then, I hope you all at Devontechnologies keep up the fine work, and responsiveness.

Regards,

F
x

???
Very weird behaviour.
After “printing” a notetaker file as a pdf into DT (using the script), all my PDF’s showed up as squashed vertically (or stretched horizontally if you prefer) in the split-view windows- though not when opened in an external window, or Adobe. Obviously the original file was unaffected- only its display in DT.

I fiddled around and saw that the printed notetaker PDF in the "files" folder had an ntx (notetaker) extension and icon. Once I changed this back to .pdf all returned to normal. Coincidence?

Hope this provides a useful clue to what’s going on.

I’ve found that if the original .webloc files (as Links) are available (i.e. the Path in DT still refers to the original) you can drag+drop the files from DT as .webloc files and they’re an exact copy of the original.

You can’t do that drag+drop if the original file has been deleted, yet DT retains both the original Path and URL.  It can still be exported as a .dtLink file.

And if you delete the DT entry for the .webloc Link it doesn’t prompt whether you want to remove the original file.  I’d anticipate removing a Link would ask about removing what it refers to.

This is an example how how I’m still confused about what information is actually in the database in order to recreate an original file that’s been deleted.  Or when it’ll prompt to remove an original file.  I’m sure it’ll eventually become clearer with more experience but for now it’s not always as “intuitive” as I’d like.