What's the quickest way to save from firefox to DT Pro?

I installed Firefox (not BonEcho) and tried the script. With FF as the front window and using the script produces the “camino” error.

It has never worked for me.

I just wanted to ask if there’s anyway to, when saving a web page straight from safari, have a dialog box open to choose the location of the save. I’m not sure if I like it always sending it to home.

Also, I still have just installed DTPro, but when I use the services menu it still calls DTpersonal - will that change when DTpersonal is deleted?

Yes, that will change when DT PE is removed from the Applications folder, although it may be necessary to logout/login to give DT Pro ‘ownership’ of the keyboard shortcuts in Services.

That’s just a wrong error message if there’s no browser window open in Firefox (or not in front). But which version of Firefox did you install? I’ve checked the script only together with Firefox 2.0.1.

I’m using FF 2.01. I had DTP open in the background and a FF window front and center. No love here.

:frowning:

I’m also using Firfox 2.01 and have FF in the foreground and DTP open in the background and I’m still getting the “Firefox (Camino) - No window open” error when I invoke the “Add archive to DEVONthink” Firefox script.

Please install the add-ons of beta 3 and let me know if this will work (as I don’t know right now why this should work over here but not on your computer). Thanks!

It still doesn’t work for me. But that could be a BonEcho issue? Perhaps with the real FireFox…

Is the same script for Safari able to capture the same (!) page? Maybe it’s a URL specific problem or a timeout (due to a slow Internet connection or a slow web server).

Well, I have the same problem with standard Firefox and the URL can be grabed with Safari. The same error messages … latest beta, German OS etc.

Oliver

Yea, Safari has no problem doing what I need it to do with Devonthink on any of these pages.

I’m trying to capture pages with the Firefox scripts and I’m using DTPO 1.3b3 beta and I’m still getting the same “Camino” error–the same pages can be easily grabbed when I use Safari.

If you’re still getting the “Camino” error, then just use Help > Install Add-ons… to ensure that the latest scripts are installed.

Afterwards please try it again - do you get a “Download failed” or “No window is open” error?

One more note:
The script works only if the frontmost window of Firefox is a browser - it doesn’t work if the downloads or add-ons window is in the front for example (as Firefox is actually not scriptable).

Firefox is the frontmost open window and I’m getting the “no window is open error.” I’ve also rerun the install add-ons to make sure that the latest versions onf the scripts have been installed.

As I’m running out of ideas and a plain Firefox 2.0.1 installation (without haxies/add-ons) is working fine over here, please send a screenshot right before (!) using the script to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com. In addition, which Firefox version (2.0.1?) and which Mac OS X version do you use?

Now I get a “FireFox No Window is Open” error message when I attempt to use the script with FF 2.01 in the front and DTPO in the background.

I ran AppleJack previously and it seems to have gotten rid of the Camino error (maybe something in the caches?).

I know many people like Firefox, for a number of reasons.

But take another look at how efficient the built-in browser of DT Pro can be, using the convenient CM options to save selected rich text (with images, tables and lists), HTML or WebArchive.

When capturing material from the Web I want to ‘freeze’ the state of the information and have images available even when I’m offline. I want to avoid capturing ads and other extraneous material (my main objection to HTML and WebArchive captures). And I want to avoid the higher memory requirements of the WebArchive format.

I’ve got a well-organized group of bookmarks to the sites I visit frequently in my main database. In order to meet my criteria noted above, I do more than 98% of captures from journals (such as Science) and news sources (including EurakAlert, Science Daily, etc.) as rich text notes. Select, right-click, choose Capture Note.

When I wish to capture HTML or WebArchive, click in the page background, right-click, choose Page or WebArchive.

Fast, easy, and capture format options instantly available.

I certainly appreciate the comments and tip.

However browsing in DTP, with a single window (no tabs) and no address bar feels like 1999 to me. :wink:

The capture function is nice, as you noted. I think that, when DA gets it’s own bookmark manager and a bit more customizability/usability (i.e. the toolbar), it may do the trick in some situations.

For me, I really like and depend on the functionality in Safari or FireFox with the various extensions or input manager-based functions.

In addition, the text in the captured note (on right), compared to the original html page (on left), is unreadable.

For example:

What can I do to capture the note in a more readable format? I want to avoid post-processing, generally.

DT Pro and DA are beautiful tools that allow the best interaction for straight data mining. But the browsing experience isn’t as powerful (generally speaking), fun and most importantly, customizable, as FireFox (BonEcho) is for me. More times than not my browser represents the window into my computer use, DT the place for analyzing and storing the relevant sights. The closer the two tools come together the better, whether through better interaction or stronger browsing tools with DT. Either way, I’m happy :slight_smile: