When to abandon a stalled "rebuild"

Hello,

I tried to copy a large database (18.16 gb) to DropBox, but got error messages. Smaller databases copied with no problem.

In the interest of hopefully optimizing the database (which still opened fine in DevonThink), I began running a rebuild yesterday (after making a new backup copy).

As of today, the message “importing 52,731 of 124,760” has remained on the screen for hours.

If I do a “force quit” of the program, do I risk anything?

Thanks,

John

No. But you’ll have to restore the latest backup (automatically created before rebuilding) via Tools > Restore Backup afterwards. In addition, select the database in the Finder, choose “Show Package Contents” in the contextual menu and remove the obsolete “Rebuild” folder from the package.

However, could you please create a sample of both DEVONthink and DevonThinkHelper first? Just launch /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app, select DEVONthink/DevonThinkHelper in the list of processes, click the “Sample” button. Save the sample and send it to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com. Thanks!

Finally, has been anything logged to the system console (see /Applications/Utilities/Console.app) during the rebuild?

I sent you the samples as you suggested.

When I attempt to restore the automatic backup, DT bombs (I sent in a report).

Fortunately, the backup I made on an external disc opens on the copy of DT I have on my MacBook Air AND the one on my desktop, so I think I can simply revert to that copy by dragging it back on to my hard drive.

For now, I’ll put smaller databases on Dropbox, but keep the big main database on my desktop’s hard drive, I guess.

Thanks for your help!

It’s possible that Dropbox damaged some database files, therefore I’d suggest to check them using Tools > Verify & Repair.