Where can I find step-by-step directions for setting up indirect syncing (using iCloud CloudKit)?

Can anyone point me to a step-by-step setup guide for adding DT3 to a second Mac and setting up indirect syncing? I’ve read Take Control’s sync chapter, but I’m not sure how to proceed (I’ve been an infrequent DEVONthink user for several years but have never quite wrapped my head around how it works, or how to make it do what I want it to do).

Related questions:

• Can I save my DT databases in iCloud, or do I need to save them to my iMac? If the latter, does they need to be saved to the iMac’s internal drive, or is an external drive OK?

• One of my most-used databases is a large PDF archive that I created by “indexing” the Dropbox folder where they live (rather than importing the PDFs into DT3). Will an iCloud sync solution work with this database, which is essentially just an index of a Dropbox folder I use to archive several hundred PDFs. Or do I need to move this PDF archive to iCloud?

Before you go too much further, it’s best if you re-read the DEVONthink Handbook (or Help which has same content) about synching, esp. about synching indexed files which requires a bit of understanding before embarking on that and then getting surprised.

Re your questions (answered in the Handbook)

Can I save my DT databases in iCloud, or do I need to save them to my iMac?

You “can” as nothing stops you, but if you do you will likely corrupt the database caused by iCloud synching while DEVONthink making changes. That is why it is recommended to NOT do that. Serves no purpose anyway. Best to save on the Mac not in any syched folders. USB connected drive works–but remember to connect and disconnect so that the drive is not corrupted due to premature disconnect … external drives bring their own risks to the data. I wouldn’t put precious DEVONthink databases on an external USB drive.

Will an iCloud sync solution work with this database, which is essentially just an index of a Dropbox folder…

I assume you have some concern or risk in mind? In the Handbook you can read how you can control if or if not the content of indexed files is synced. If the files already in Dropbox, is not just using Finder (on synced Macs) or Files/Dropbox App on synced IOS Devices to access the synched folders not good enough? Just a thought.

Remember: synching is just a way to assist in moving DEVONthink to other devices. It’s not a place for you to access, nor is it a backup.

Indeed, this is true!
However, DEVONthink will (1) not allow you to open a database in such a location, (2) not sync a database in such a location, and (3) warn and move the database or give you the option to move it yourself.

I suggest you read the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync section for more information on this subject.

Since I read the Handbook and understood why to not do that, I never did it to then discover what DEVONthink does to protect me! Excellent. Best learning of the new month so far!

1 Like

We took some flak for the decision after the release (quite some time ago now), but since we had plenty of support tickets from people damaging their databases, we had to do something a bit more iron-fisted.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes