Where did all my stuff go?

Ok, I had to send my Mac in for some Apple Care work. It came back with a few quirks, nothing major. Until I went to log into DevonThink to resume a project I was working on last week.

When I opened DT3, it appears almost empty. There’s one random webpage in the Inbox from something I inadvertantly imported, but all my other databases are gone.

No biggie - I did sync them with icloud before dropping my comptuer off. I also backed them up to an external hard drive. But. How do I get them “back”? When I go to Preferences/Sync, iCloud is checked and it says “Inbox” and that the last sync was 3:12 today (just now). Below the checked “Inbox” are all my DT3 databases in the “Remote” area. When I try to download it (so it shows up in my DT3), it says “Database databasename.dtBase2 seems to be already in use” in bold, and this below, “The database you are trying to open seems to be either in use by another instance of DEVONthink 3 or has not been closed properly the last time it was used. Press ‘Continue’ to open the database anyway if you are sure it is not in use by another copy of DEVONthink 3.”

I hit continue and downloaded each of the databases… but my ultimate goal is that these databases sync with iCloud so I can access them, as needed without something like this happening… I’m hoping I won’t have to send the computer off again, but am I doing something wrong with the sync?

Thanks!

This means that the databases were still available on your computer and DEVONthink automatically opened them before sync. But they were not closed properly the last time (e.g. due to the Mac issue) and this caused the alert.

DEVONthink should open the databases again without any alerts the next time you’ll restart it.

1 Like

Thank you! Hopefully I won’t have this problem again. My goal or at least belief is that they would stay synced automatically. I typically only use them on my MBP, but have the iOS app as well so I can access them as needed when I don’t have my computer with me.

Remember: DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go will not sync if they’re not open.

2 Likes