Where does the focus go when navigating to a formatted note

Same here. I’ve been trying to navigate between the items within a folder, but it keeps switching the focus on the preview area for the formatted notes, and whenever I click on the item again using the trackpad, it goes into the “rename mode”.

How did you create this formatted note? E.g. is it a clipped web page?

It was happening to the ones I created and added contents, and the notes I imported from Apple Notes and from Evernote. I didn’t test with clipped formatted notes.

However, I just did a major optimization of the database, deleting empty groups and duplicate messages, and the issue stopped happening. I’ll keep you posted if it starts happening again.

No, It happens for every formatted note, also newly created ones, independent of their content.

There are some screencasts linked above. Also: The correct behaviour is briefly restored by restarting DevonThink, but it quickly returns to the state where the focus goes somewhere when navigating past a rich text document.

Issue is back, out of the blue. Didn’t close the DT or restarted the computer. Issue started happening again in the same way it was before. Just like tomka is describing and showed in his videos.

Which version of macOS do you use? So far I couldn’t reproduce this on Catalina & Big Sur. A screenshot of Preferences > General, Preferences > Editing and Preferences > Web might be useful too. Thanks!

Hi, I’m attaching the screenshots of preferences. I’m updating to the latest MacOS usually within a week or so. Currently I’m on 11.2.1 and this happens on both an Intel Macbook and an M1 Mac mini I have.

Thank you for the screenshots! Unfortunately still no luck despite using the same preferences and the same window setup (but the upcoming macOS 11.3)

Does this immediately happen after launching the app? Or only after a while and certain actions?

I can reproduce the following on both of my Macs with DT 3.6.2:

1. Create a Formatted Note in a group with some other notes (not “Rich text” as I wrote above. Happens only with formatted notes.).
  2. Try to navigate with arrow keys past the formatted note. Result: can’t move past the formatted note without the main list losing focus.
  3. Close DevonThink
  4. Open DevonThink.
  5. Try to navigate with arrow keys past the formatted note. Result: Works as expected, can navigate past the formatted note.
  6. Click into the preview/edit of the formatted note and type a letter.
  7. Click into the main list.
  8. Try to navigate with arrow keys past the formatted note. Result: can’t move past the formatted note without the main list losing focus.
1 Like

Thank you for the detailed description, I will check this.

It’s an issue of Big Sur actually, the next release will include a workaround.

2 Likes

That’s great that it will be worked around. Thanks a lot!

1 Like