which one better with Devonthink: Sente or Bookends?

Good - I’m glad you’re finding this useful.

Yes, I too have peered into the AttachmentLocation table and wondered how things are encoded :slight_smile:

Perhaps the quickest route would be to ask Michael at Sente …

Good luck !

houthakker

Well, this is real magic! Requesting a feature at a forum
http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5711&an=0&page=0#5711
and getting it in less than a week!

Thanks, houthakker. Great work.

An updated version of the Sente notes to Devonthink applescript now adds WP Markers (abbreviated citations for pasting into word processor documents) at the end of each note.

http://web.me.com/robinfrancistrew/Site/Sente_Notes_2_DEVONthink.html

Wow! This works great and is amazingly simple. Thank you very much! :astonished:

@houthakker This script sounds great and I would really like to integrate it into my Sente-DTPO flow, but I am rather ignorant on the subject of scripting. Could you clarify for me at which point in the script to I amend the name and folder pathway? In the header under: “–SENTE DATABASE NAME…” (as well as the folder pathway), or in the body of the script itself?
All apologies apply for noob questions :smiley: and many thanks to you and anyone else who might help me out! --Best, M

You only need to change it in one place: in the header.

If your Sente database is in the default folder
[UserName]/Library/Sente/

then simply amend the quoted string in the line

property strSenteDbName : “NeedsToBeChanged”

so that it reads something like:

[i]property strSenteDbName : "MyDatabase"[/i]

houthakker

@houthakker Thanks for your help! I have it running and it is brilliant! With a quicksilver trigger on top, this is really working for me. Thumbs up!

The reference to a Quicksilver trigger sounds quite interesting. Would you mind elaborating about what this trigger allows you to do?

Thank,

~A

When I posted last, I had added a custom trigger in quicksilver to run the script. With the trigger, the “author, year” window will appear–unfortunately, not on top of other application windows (I don’t know if this is an OS X preference setting that I need to correct). So it requires a second trigger to bring the QS linked “author, year” window to the fore, but this is less a break of workflow than gesturing around with the mouse.
The only problem I am encountering is not with the script, but Sente’s note-taking. By using the select-capture note taker, formatting from some pdfs is sent to Devonthink which often results in rtfs with breaks in words or between lines, font substitutions, or other anomalies that require editing. I don’t know if this is inherent to Sente’s notes or Devonthink’s rendering of the hidden formatting data on the pdf.

Michaelnau,

Thanks for the update.

Have a good one,

Paul K.

Beru,

Presumably any trial periods you had will have run out by now. I’d be interested to hear which one you ended up paying for?

There are now quite a few offline and online solutions, so choosing is getting more and more difficult. Bookends is reliable and has great support, so I’ve stayed with it for 5 years or more now, though I do take a look at Sente whenever a new version comes out. The Sente2Devn script certainly adds a new dimension. The way to do the equivalent with Bookends is:
Select Note or Notes; Command-K; Command-Tab (to DT); Command-N
This copies notes and reference information into a new note in DevonThink. It’s more steps, but not arduous if you keep your thumb on the Command key!

I’m assuming that a similar script for Bookends would involve more than just replacing “Sente” with “Bookends”?

The script for Sente queries its SQLite database, retrieving the fields needed to automatically build a folder name which gives a full reference to the source. Captured notes are placed inside this folder. Bookends does not use an SQLite database, and would in any case have a significantly different field structure.

I was pretty sure it couldn’t be that simple, but I’m glad you destroyed any vestiges of hope, which would have led to major disillusionment. :slight_smile:

These glitches arise in Sente rather than Devonthink - when Sente captures text from a PDF it introduces simple HTML tags to represent any formatting.

Ver 18 of the script now aims to deal with these tags, and import notes into Devonthink with any bolding, italics etc. preserved in the body of the note, while stripping any html tags out of the note title.
http://web.mac.com/robinfrancistrew/Site/Sente_Notes_2_DEVONthink.html

Houthakker

@houthakker
I just ran v18 of the script and it is operating perfectly–recognizing bold text and special characters that were previously rendered in HTML in DTPO’s rtf panes. You have almost made DTP and Sente a single system for this kind of workflow-kudos! Great work and thank you again.

I use bookends, and have not tried Sente, so I can’t answer your initial question. But, although a little off topic, I would really like to recommend Papers. It will add another program to your workflow, but if you can live with that, I suggest you check it out.

Papers lets you search a number of search engines for scholary articles, import, and then organise them. It is also possible to do this in Bookends, but the process is in my opinion much more streamlined in Papers. Papers will also, when available, fetch metadata automatically. This feature is not 100% yet, and sometimes you will have to enter metadata automatically, but it works fine most of the time.

In my workflow I use Papers to search for, import, and organise articles. I then synchronise the folder in which Papers saves all the pdf’s with DT. This way both programs access the same file. I use Preview to read and annotate my pdfs (I take notes in DT), and all changes made by Preview will show up whether you subsequently open the file in Papers or DT. The only problem with this method is that DT are not able to search my annotation made in Preview. Anyway, in Papers I export the references/citations to Bookends. If they are tagged correctly, this takes no time at all. Papers can also export to Sente (at least I think it can). The three programs work really well together, and I have no problem working with all three at a daily basis.

Papers do have some flaws, but the developers are active and receptive to suggestions. Most of the time I am very happy with Papers and have no problem recommending it to anyone, especially someone who works mostly with articles. I am no power user though, so those of you who meddle with scripts and such may be of a different opinion than me.

Anyway, check it out if it sounds interesting.

Nice elegant interface, though a pity that it doesn’t automate citation. I would be more tempted if its note-taking went beyond embedding comments in PDFs.

Sente’s note-taking serves the Stephen Berlin Johnson workflow in Devonthink rather better because it automates the the extraction of text paragraphs from PDFs, attaches page numbers to these extracts, and lets you add titles and commentaries to them. These notes serve well as searchable Devonthink records.

(Sente also has a fair amount of overlap with Papers in its automation of the interaction with online bibliographic repositories).

http://www.stevenberlinjohnson.com/movabletype/archives/000230.html

This actually sounds really interesting. As of now I do this manually. I do not really want to switch to Sente right now since I am in the middle of writing my masters thesis. But a feature like this does nonetheless sound very interesting. Are you aware of any other programs that can do the same thing?

When you get the time, demo Sente and use @houthakker’s script (see thread) between it and DTP. With a Quicksilver trigger for the script, things will move a lot more quickly. It, the script, really makes the two apps function like a single platform.

I’d like to echo the sentiments of houthakker and michaelnau: Sente’s notetaking feature has to be seen to be believed. In fact, you can watch a video here:
thirdstreetsoftware.com/site … notes.html
With DT Pro and houtakker’s script, we really do have an SBJ-style workflow available to us.

There was a time when Papers offered by far the best experience dealing with PDFs, but Sente moved pretty quickly to catch up. Although I haven’t tried Papers in the last few months, it strikes me that now, elegant though it is, it occupies an uncomfortable bit of territory where it doesn’t really offer quite enough to compete with alternatives.

Or at least the above would all be true if Sente didn’t suffer from a bit of a reliability problem. I’m afraid I have to echo a couple of the earlier comments in the thread to the effect that I don’t feel entirely safe in Sente; in fact, recently I’ve been experiencing crashes whenever I change views or use the internal browser. I’m prepared to believe that it’s in some way the fault of my setup, rather than Sente itself being bad, but I’ve never had significant problems with Bookends, and in any case the support is legendary. Sente’s forums aren’t very lively, so you feel a bit on your own when problems occur, although email support is courteous.

If you find what you see in the video attractive, I’d certainly recommend downloading the program and trying it out. The nice thing is that if it doesn’t work out for you, you’ve already got a nice workflow to fall back on.