Who's actively using a VPN… what and why?

Nord VPN for home and personal use and on any mobile devices if away and connecting to another (e.g. public) network via Wi-Fi. I work from home and connect to our servers by a company VPN.
I have used Bonjour for synching DEVONthink at home with no problems but generally rely on iCloud for convenience.

1 Like

Yes. In the case of Mullvad VPN, I imagine it’s Settings > Preferences > Local network sharing.

Me too. Shimo was an excellent replacement last time I used it (admittedly some years ago).

That might be tunnel splitting, I think.

What I meant: you can set up your own VPN with some routers (notably Fritz Box) and NAS. If you then connect your device from the outside to this VPN server, it becomes part of your internal/local network, ie the one that the router/NAS belongs to. In this setting, you nicht be able to use Bonjour.

Alternatively, with a VPN service provider, there might be an option to exclude all local traffic from the VPN which should also make Bonjour possible. In fact, having local traffic go through a VPN seems unusual.

I’ve never noticed Bonjour not working when I was running ExpressVPN; however, I don’t keep the VPN running all the time to confirm it always works despite my anecdotal observation.

I think this setting in ExpressVPN (see screen shot) “Allow access to devices on the local network” makes this possible.

Perhaps other VPN products has same or similar.

1 Like

Right. VPN is just muddling the waters: the services must be on the same (sub)network. If the VPN prevents that, Bonjour doesn’t work. Otherwise, it does.

1 Like

Late to the party, but here my input:

• ExpressVPN and Proton
  • several reasons: on mobile to protect in public space and to circumvent government restrictions on my regular trips to China; from home same reason when I still lived in China, now because I can (I have bascially VPN on all my devices always on)
  • Proton is 8/ 10, ExressVPN 10/10
1 Like

Use Proton VPN. Have it on all the time…

…because…why wouldn’t you?

1 Like

Express VPN
Public wifi sy
change country so I can see videos that are location specific

1 Like
  • VyprVPN (Golden Frog)

• Several reasons, sometimes to get around regional restrictions for video, etc; often when using an open public wifi; and there are actually times when it breaks through log jams (not sure wether it’s throttling, or busy servers on campus etc., but switching to VPN usually fixes it immediately with slight drop in thruput). I probably turn it on less than 10% of the time, but it works for me.

• Excellent. Works on desktop and mobile, auto-on for public wifi, auto-reconnect, option of several different protocols including Wireguard, Chameleon and ikev2, and has good international overage. Excellent support.

1 Like

I use OpenVPN via Trust.Zone, which does a good deal on 2 year subscriptions and has a wide range of countries through which to route traffic. I use it on my iPad, but I don’t always have it turned on. Sometimes apps can be a bit slow to sync, but otherwise I find it very reliable. On my iPhone, I’ve switched to just using Apple’s private relay. I don’t use a VPN on my Mac, just because sometimes things don’t work and it’s annoying, e.g. my work gmail account won’t send emails if my VPN is switched on.

I originally started using a VPN for “recreational” activities as a naughty teenager, which required various different country accesses. Over the years I’ve become an adult, Netflix & co cracked down on VPN access, and security became far more of an issue.

I just use it for privacy now. And Sci-hub access, as @saschabur mentioned, since our fine nations have deemed its use illegal (I’m rolling my eyes very hard).

1 Like
  • NordVPN (switched from AVG a year ago for better price/value ratio)
  • Use: Privacy around tracking, and added security.
  • UX is pretty good, does what it needs to in a simple/easy way, including use on all my devices. No complaints.