Why no ExactScan??

Since upgrading to DEVONthink Pro - version 2.4 and now 2.41 - importing with my scanner has turned into a nightmare.

According to the Help guide:

“Scanners: DEVONthink Pro Office generates an overview scan of the current page in the scanner, allows you to select which parts of the page you want to capture, and set the scan options. Click Scan to capture the page.”

However, it seems as though there is no way “to select which parts of the page you want to capture, and set the scan options. (-and then to) Click Scan to capture the page.” Rather, after the initial scan the program identifies certain parts of the document automatically and there appears to be no way to cancel or edit these selections. Then when the document is scanned these are the only sections that are scanned. There seems to be no way to capture the whole page as a single document. This is causing me all sorts of problems.

For instance, I scanned a receipt this morning. The program identified four separate blocks on the receipt - and when I tried to scan the whole document it scanned only these blocks. I was left with four images: the heading of the receipt, the middle part of the receipt showing what I bought, the total price, and the footer of the receipt. (N.B. - selecting “Combine into a single document” makes no difference.)

There seems to be no way I can scan a receipt, run it through OCR, and then save it as a single document with DEVONthink. I am now scanning my receipts with the software I have for my scanner (Canon), saving them as PDF, and then moving them over to DEVONthink one at a time.

It was MUCH easier with ExactScan. Why was it dropped?
What am I missing?

Mike

I’m having the same problem with my Canon since in went to 2.4.1. The scanner just will not scan anything in. It activates the scanner but nothing. I’ve got a support ticket in to see how this is supposed to work.