Why would a single indexing create three instances of the same item in the same place?

I have an indexed database. While testing syncing functionality, I created a subfolder inside Finder and moved three stray (as in previously not in any subfolders) into that new subfolder. Then I went into DT to see if the new subfolder had been created–it had–and if the three stray docs had been moved as well. They had, but each was created 3x. So previously the folder in Finder looked like this:

Folder
Subfolder 1
Subfolder 2
Subfolder 3
Stray Doc 1
Stray Doc 2
Stray Doc 3

In Finder I now created Subfolder 4 and moved the strays into that subfolder. After which it looked like this in Finder:

Folder
Subfolder 1
Subfolder 2
Subfolder 3
Subfolder 4
No longer Stray Doc 1
No longer Stray Doc 2
No longer Stray Doc 3

I let the system sync itself, which it did. I did not do anything other than create the Subfolder and move the strays into it. But inside DT, the synced structure now looked like this:

Folder
Subfolder 1
Subfolder 2
Subfolder 3
Subfolder 4
No longer Stray Doc 1
No longer Stray Doc 1
No longer Stray Doc 1
No longer Stray Doc 2
No longer Stray Doc 2
No longer Stray Doc 2
No longer Stray Doc 3
No longer Stray Doc 3
No longer Stray Doc 3

I checked “Show in Finder” and there is only one instance of each doc in Finder.

Anyone have any insights?

• Where are you making the indexed folder - in a cloud synced location?
  • What do you have Preferences > Sync > Conflicts set to?

Thanks Blue

Indexed documents are in a Dropbox synced folder. The Dropbox “Smart Sync” setting for the specific folder is set to “Local.” I usually try to remember to close the Dropbox app when I’m working in DT since I’ve read that DT and DB don’t like each other.

Preferences>Sync>Conflicts is set to “duplicate documents,” which I suspect is the culprit. I don’t know how that got set to that. Since I don’t understand what it’s asking or doing, I didn’t set that intentionally if I set it at all.

Frankly, I don’t know what any of that window (Preferences>Sync) is addressing. There are 5 options in the left window, with iCloud checked at the moment. Again, I don’t know why it’s checked, and I do not believe I set that since I don’t know what its role is.

It looks like the results of the conflict resolution.
The sync preferences show an active I loud sync location if it’s enabled. Select it and see what databases are enabled.

Several are. I still don’t know what that means though.

• I don’t have any databases stored in iCloud at all.
  • I don’t know why iCloud is checked in that pane.
  • I have no clue what iCloud has to do with any of this since I don’t keep indexed folders there, and don’t keep any DT databases there.
  • AFAIK, iCloud is an unwelcome interloper in this entire arrangement.

Having said that, it is entirely possible that I did whatever it is that was done, but I don’t have any recollection of having done so. (I come and go from my use of DT because I find it more complicated than my pea brain can deal with. I often take vacations from wrestling with it of several months in between.)

It just means you’ve enabled DEVONthink syncing to iCloud. Syncing is used to keep the same databases on different Macs or iOS devices running DEVONthink To Go.

Do you have other Macs or DEVONthink To Go ?

Ah…Now we’re getting somewhere. Maybe.

Yes. I have DTTG on an iPad. But it has never synced, and I’ve never bothered to figure out why. The only box checked at the moment is global inbox, but the text beneath it says “Not yet synchronized, upload database.” There are other databases listed, all of which I unchecked and some of which say they’ve been recently synchronized, but I don’t know where. None of that is showing up on my iPad that I can see. My laptop and my other iPad are not turned on. I do have another desktop iMac at another location but I have asked staff to shut it down in case that’s the culprit.

On the problemtatic Mac, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. Thanks.