Widgets

This probably a really stupid question: but how do I install the widgets? (so far I have not found any use for the dashboard what so ever, perhaps the DT widgets will change this)

Place it in /Library/Widgets/ in your home folder. Show Dashboard, click the plus sign to display the Widget Bar and click the widget’s icon in the Widget Bar to open it.

That should do it. Good luck!

Double click on them (one at a time). You should be launched into dashboard. (To access dashboard at any time, use the F12 key BTW). There are some standard widgets pre-installed. You can always get more (google).

Also, there is a little circle with a “+” in the lower left side of the monitor when dashboard is active. Clicking on that will bring up more pre-installed widgets.

After you have launched a given widget, it stays active between reboots, until you terminate it.

Have fun!

:slight_smile:

It must be one of those days … I tried the stuff both of you suggested but it didn’t work. I’ve rebooted the machine also just to be sure but the DT widgets doesn’t show up “at the bottom”

If I double-click them they are started but shouldn’t it be possible to add them to “the bottom row”?

I love the widgets, I’m using them for all sorts of things now. The DT widgets are really cool as are the NoteTaker widgets.

What do you mean “it didn’t work?” I’m curious as to where the problem lies. Pressing “F12” should bring up the widgets, as should clicking on the black speedometer looking icon in the dock, next to the finder icon in the dock; this is all installed by Tiger. Is that happening? Your widgets can be in two locations but you should only install downloaded widgets (i.e., non-apple widgets) in your user folder, i.e., yourusername/library/widgets. Most widgets self-install upon download (the finder will prompt you that it may be an application and do you want to install it). With the DTPro widgets just drag them to the widgets folder. Then either F12 or use the dock icon to open the “widgets interface.” This causes the dashboard/widget icon in the dock to be enlarged and show a “+” on it. Clicking on the + opens a separate “dock” of available widgets that can be clicked upon to open. Select the DT widget, click on it, and voila, there it is available.

If you’ve done all this and (you’re using Tiger of course) it’s still not working, you should repair permissions, run the Crons, empty the caches (browsers, users, system) and restart the computer. Then restart it again into single user mode and run fsck -f until it says that no more repairs have been made. If all else fails you will need to run DiskWarrior. Let us know where you are in this regimen and if there is anything else we can explain or do to help out. Widgets are too cool to not be able to use them.

ChemBob

OK, I got it to work, I don’t know exactly why it started to work again. What I did was to enable Spotlight (which I had disabled previously) and changed the default browser to Safari and then copied the files again and then it worked.

I wonder if Spotlight have something to do with this …

Anyway, I’m probably old fashioned but I still don’t see the usefulness of Widgets … I need to have DT open for the widgets to work and then I might as well use DT directly.

Well, this is news to me. There is no reason to switch off Spotlight. Once it has indexed your drives properly it doesn’t eat that many resources. And when you switch something off that requires “hacking” your system, anything could happen…

This is indeed open for debate, you can always go to the app directly. Although: F12, type a search term in DEVONsearch and double-click a result to see it open up in the application can be done quite fast. Look at it as a different way to access the information you stored in our applications. Note: if you don’t have the application open, the widget will start it for you.

If you have a suggestion for improving the way you want to use it, you can always send it to us!

Well my experience is very different, it was like getting a new computer when I’ve turned off Spotlight. When I have it turned on it’s trashing the disk, consuming CPU power and is actually preventing me from working!! Add to that the fact that I haven’t used Spotlight one single time (excluding the time I tried just to see if it actually worked) and the choice of turning it off was easy. I’m going to let spotlight be on for a while and see if the things has improved when a new index was built.

Please note that I have complaining about the Devon widgets (they are OK), just that I don’t see that much use of the dashboard in general. But as I say, I’m old fashioned.

(sigh, now the disk trashing has started again … )

Jem, any chance you are a little short on RAM? Tiger and all its accoutrements definitely uses more RAM, some of the widgets are actually pretty consumptive. I too thought spotlight was a dog when I first installed Tiger. It took several hours (I believe it went through the index two or three times) but once it indexed my drive I haven’t had another problem with it. I’m uncertain as to its behavior if you are using a lot of removable drives. I think it indexes them and stores the db on the removable drive but I’m not certain. If so, you may get indexing upon attachment of the external.

Widgets, I like the radar widget (Doppleviewer) for when a storm is coming. The NoteTaker Megasearch widget is awesome (but you have to have NoteTaker), the iBiz widget allows me to start and stop timers on projects and will automatically open the program when I sell it to send the times to iBiz (but you have to have iBiz). I send and receive things quite a bit and the Packagetracker widget keeps me informed of where they are on the various shippers. I have one widget that sends a daily Taoist reading to the dashboard. Lots of others I use too.

ChemBob

It’s always possible that I haven’t got enough memory (I’ve actually ordered more but for other reasons), but it seems that I’m not the only one who have problems with Spotlight. Well, I had to turn it off again (and no, no external drives etc)

Spotlight indices are stored under the hidden .Spotlight-V100 directory at the root of every volume. As I currently understand it, the algorithm Spotlight uses for (re)indexing is the same for any volume. It doesn’t matter that a volume is on a removable drive, only what happens when it’s mounted after it’s been unmounted. And read-only media won’t be indexed.

There’s more going, not all which makes sense yet …

For example, my boot volume is Spotlight-indexed. When I clone it to a volume that’s not indexed, then search each volume individually using the same criteria, the results can differ. And the unindexed clone volume will typically return more results, demonstrating that Spotlight indexing for the original volume is somehow incomplete.

Re: Spotlight-related search performance. Whether or not a volume is indexed will be a factor. What’s called a “Spotlight search” may include unindexed volumes that cause a dramatic slowdown compared to index-only searching. That particular point, which seems worth mentioning, has been missing from discussions of Spotlight performance I’ve previously read.

Even with demonstrable troubles Spotlight is already quite useful for me but experience says it’s definitely not ready to rely on as much as I’d eventually like to.