Wikilinks and transclusion linking to different files when 2 files have the same name in a parent and sub folder

Here is the scenario.

I have a a group and subgroup both of them have a file that is named linkto.

The file in the subfolder has a wiki link and a transclusion link both pointing to the linkto file.

But the transclusion link brings back the subfolder file and the wiki link opens the parent folder file.

In case of ambiguous names it’s actually undefined which item will be used. Therefore unique names are recommended.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason why I would like to use the same name is that I am looking for and override functionality.

That a subgroup can provide a transclusion override by providing its own transclusion file with the same name as the parent.

Other software implement wiki-links this way. One that I use 1Write also does it this way.

It is useful and perhaps worthwhile considering.

Thanks
Steven

I am looking for and override functionality.

Please clarify what you’re referring to and an actual use case for the request.

• consistency: making wiki-links consistent with how transclusion works. It is intuitive.

• Being consistent with other apps implementation of wiki-links. So if I prefer, or maybe due to current limitations of DTTG, I could use other markdown apps effectively. Devon Technologies philosophy is one in which the user can work with the stored document in any app of their choosing.

• also the reason why it is done this way in transclusion is because it is more intuitive.

Usage: Let’s say I am testing some code and I want to keep track where the bugs that I found occurred. So I can have a general category of adding a customer and then I can have a specific subcategory of moving a customer from department to department.

So the parent group would have a document of the list of bugs that happened in generalized add customer testing and the sub group would have a document showing the bugs in a sub functionality of the add customer.

The parent group

and the file being linked to

Now for the sub function of moving a customer.

Its file being linked to

Should be able to see the specific sub function but also see the group parent function.

Sorry if Im not great at explaining but I hope I was understood.

No worries with your explanation.
I’m building a similar setup to get a feel for what you’re describing here.

• consistency: making wiki-links consistent with how transclusion works. It is intuitive.

But WikiLinks are not transclusion links.
WikiLinks just link to an external file.
Transclusion links display an external file’s content in the Markdown document.
They have two different mechanisms and functions, not only in DEVONthink, but in general.

Devon Technologies philosophy is one in which the user can work with the stored document in any app of their choosing.

This is true in part. Our philosophy is to not use proprietary formats and to support standardized technology as much as possible. However, it is not to make sure the files work the same in DEVONthink as they do in any app of your choosing. There are things here and there we’ve implemented, like recognizing some alternative highlighting syntaxes. But that doesn’t mean we can or will support every option the other applications support.

• also the reason why it is done this way in transclusion is because it is more intuitive.

That may be subjectively true. :wink:

Sorry but I’m not seeing the utility in your example here.

Why aren’t you just modifying the original Testing document?

Aand after modifying the Testing document, here’s the Bugs document updated…