Wildcard String Boundaries

Hi

Is there anyway to test for string boundaries with wildcards?

I have a custom metadata field with a document’s source data. It’s seperate to the usual date fields as most docs are very old, so time isn’t something I want to record about them - if i have a day that is doing well - and it allows me to describe a doc as being from the ‘1900s’, or ‘1900-1910’, etc. while also using 1900-01-01 when applicable. Basically a very unconventional date string, more a date descriptor.

I want to create some smart groups so I can quickly (manually) look over the dates. So aside from having seperate groups for different formats, which would work as it’d be easier to review smaller groups, can I test for string boundaries?

Having read the docs and searched here, I understand that special characters aren’t searched - or indexed I’m not sure - and that the wildcard search is based on NSRegularExpression. NSRegularExpression allows for the use of $ to test for the end of a line but this doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me. \B doesn’t either

For example, I’d like to use [12][0-9][0-9][0-9] to search for XXXX, but it also returns XXXX-XX-XX, XXXX-XXXX. I figure that then testing for the end of a string might do the trick.

Finally, I assume the manual contains all the wildcard operators, or are there any other more advanced ones we can use that are undocumented?

Thanks again all

Where did you read that? Afaik, DT does not allow regular expressions in it’s search.

@chrillek is correct. RegEx isn’t supported in searching outside of the Scan Text and Scan Name smart rule actions (of no use in your query here). So no you can’t use boundaries in a search.