Will DEVONthink's Woeful Interface Ever Be Updated?

I don’t equate asking for word wrap in titles to be an example of “woeful”. Just me. Doesn’t for sure mean that word wrap can or will be implemented just to overcome woefulness expressed by someone.

Meantime, above, are lots of suggestions you can do now to help.

1 Like

With all due respect, calling DevonThink’s interface woeful disqualifies any contribution. DevonThink is light years ahead of all other apps in terms of power and professionalism, and in this light the interface is a marvel of clarity and versatility.

12 Likes

I sometimes find myself sliding the divider to get wider titles. The standard layout (titles full width horizontally) makes better use of screen real estate in that case.

There would be a problem with word wrapping titles, if you couldn’t turn that feature off. Each wrapped title would eat vertical space, reducing the number of titles you saw in any form.

Standard view, set the columns you want to see and stretch the title field is a good compromise as would be any UI change.

1 Like

Standard view, set the columns you want to see and stretch the title field is a good compromise as would be any UI change.

Shortening filenames is also a good idea :wink:

5 Likes

I think I just became a standard view convert. I always used widescreen as The One True Way.

Now it’s clear. Standard, switching between column and list views as appropriate, that’s the real One True Way. This afternoon, at least…

4 Likes

Every time I see a post like this, I think that @BLUEFROG and others must recite that famous Abraham Lincoln quote as a mantra:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

6 Likes

Yes of course! Personal responsibility matters! I have to say one does have to develop some kind of strategy oneself and that, I have found, amplifies the DEVONthink 3 power. As you know I think, I use a weird prefix system and more and more, due to the power of search, indicative rather than ‘full’ titles if that makes sense.

2 Likes

I use a suffix system; keywords appended to the title to add context
The keywords are a copy of the tags assigned to the note

2 Likes

I have to say I can’t explain well why mine works, some of it is just that it is fixed in memory. I text expand it, so I always get a systematic date. Now the metadata in DEVONthink 3 is so good that the date really is redundant and duplicates a sort that DEVONthink 3 could do. But I like the date in a very stable, title, form out of habit more than anything. Not that I ever filed things in paper by date!
I have to say I will give some thought to the suffix idea. It hadn’t occured to me and I could easily search and order that given what DEVONthink 3 can do. Thanks. I believe there is a way of using Regex to retitle things in DEVONthink 3? I might hone my skills on that a bit.

2 Likes

Check out Script menu > Rename as well as Tools > Batch Process.

1 Like

I use an Applescript to assist with processing my Inbox records
It formats the note title, assigns tags, moves out of Inbox …

2 Likes

I‘d love to have a „corkboard“ view, providing an overview of notes with titles and the first two or three lines. This would help managing collections of short („atomic“) notes.

I now realized that I did what I do not like when others do it - highjacking a thread with more wishes. Sorry, it is an expression of caring for DT, couldn’t help it and it‘s not long til Christmas :wink:

2 Likes

You could try Tinderbox.app’s Map view.

To see a DEVONthink group’s contents in Tinderbox:

• Use Tinderbox menu File > Watch > Group from DEVONthink
  • Choose a DEVONthink group
  • Tinderbox contextual menu Open in new tab
  • Tinderbox menu View > Map

It’s also possible to see a DEVONthink smart group’s contents in Tinderbox.

• DEVONthink menu Edit > Copy Item Link
  • Create a new Tinderbox note
  • Set attribute $DEVONthinkGroup to the copied link
  • Tinderbox contextual menu Open in new tab
  • Tinderbox menu View > Map

Using a smart group is nice as it makes it possible to e.g. assign a tag to every record that you’d like to see in Tinderbox.

3 Likes

Ok, I had another look at Tinderbox and watched the video about Devonthink and Tinderbox:

https://youtu.be/7m7YQ_llz_4?si=3J8CIGLxRA4pelY9

I am actually quite happy with the views and gui of dt, so I like to stay within it and my wish is „just“ the gallery view but where the thumbnail/tile of a text note shows the first few lines.

I can happily live without it, so the Tinderbox visualizations are too sophisticated for my basic use case. I am always impressed with what others manage to do with DT. I regularly come to the forum just to see whether I could be helpful to others but then always realize that my DT skills are so rudimentary that I can never be of any help. I enjoy watching all these apps and follow up on ideas, to eventually return to a simple workflow in DT. Automation is an example where I also keep looking at other tools or the scripting options but then often end up keeping it simple and/or „manual“.

With regard to the visual appearance of its visualizations, I imagine some people may also criticize the looks of Tinderbox :slight_smile: Also interesting how we are made to think what is „modern“ and what is not and how things change over time. With Apple, I have the feeling they always try to make me think in certain ways and they also manage to make me want things, that until then I did not really care about. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reminder of Tinderbox, I am going to watch more of those videos and check their forum. The DT-Tinderbox video above is an excellent demo for what or why many here love about DT.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I entered

defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar ON

I also tried … -string ‘ON’ and -bool TRUE.
Into the terminal, but I see no effect. Can you tell what I did wrong?

This should work

defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar -string yes

You can find all hidden preferences in DEVONthink’s help:

• Menu Help > DEVONthink 3 Help
  • Go to Documentation > Appendix > Hidden preferences

Unfortunately clicking the provided links has no effect, you have to

• copy the link via the contextual menu
  • open it in a browser, e.g. Safari
  • open a new DEVONthink window to see the additional info in the path bar
1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. That did not work either. So far I have tried:

defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar -string yes
defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar -string 'yes'
defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar -bool TRUE 
defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar -string ON
defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar -string 'ON'

After shutting down DEVONthink, deleting the entry with
defaults delete com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar
and adding one of the entries above, and re-launching DEVONthink.

P.S. I emailed DEVONthink support and I will post their solution if they respond. Thanks again!

Works over here.

This works defaults write com.devon-technologies.think3 ShowAdditionalInfoInPathBar -bool YES but it’s not going to automatically update the current window’s selection, which I think is what you’re expecting. Open a new window or reselect an item and you’ll see the effect.

PS: Copying and using the link is the preferred method of making such changes unless a command specifically needs a Terminal command.