Workflow question: Tag in group or inbox tags and smart group

Generally i am well-organised but I have a feeling that I might be overdoing my workflow. For my current work, I have a database ‘Active’. Therein I have separate groups (folders) for each matter. I know that if I add one or more tags to a group then whenever I add an item to that group DT will automatically tag the item with the tag(s). I also know that the group will appear in the list of tags. The snag with that workflow is that it requires me to move items from the Active inbox to each relevant group. I don’t/can’t use smart rules because that presupposes knowing in advance where a new item should go.

To accelerate the workflow, I am considering scrapping the groups and putting all items in the Active database inbox, manually adding tags to each item and using smart groups. Unless I’m missing something to do that would appear to achieve the same outcome, namely that all items would ‘automatically’ be populating in their respective smart folders. It would also mean that the creation, etc dates for each item could be sorted which, bearing in mind much of my work is urgent would enable me to find an item that arrived weeks ago by using flags, etc.

I’d welcome your comments.

whenever I add an item to that group DT will automatically tag the item with the tag(s)

This is optional behavior now. In File > Database Properties for each database you can enable/disable Inherit Tags of Groups.

I also know that the group will appear in the list of tags.

Why is this an issue?

Also, using smart groups isn’t an either OR proposition in a database. You can use groups as well as smart groups, with no ill effect.

Thank you.
I have just noticed that I can exclude groups from tagging in DTPO. Also that group tags colour is blue and manual (ordinary) tags in grey.

I can exclude groups from tagging in DTPO.

Yes. That is the default option when creating a database. It can also be done on a group-by-group basis if you are using group Tags.