Workspaces quirks in DT3.01

Dear developers,

I can’t seem to make the workspaces ‘work’ in DT 3.01.
When I open a certain named workspace the present window shrinks, after a dull ‘thud’ sound from full screen to a small window on the desktop. Meanwhile, all the other windows I had opened before have disappeared.
Is this a bug or is it not possible to open a workspace when multiple windows are opened? I am still in the last version of Mojave.

Thanks a lot in advance

It in unclear what you’re doing here.

• Are you switching workspaces while in full screen mode in DEVONthink?
  • Is this on a multi-monitor setup?

I’m opening several windows DT in fullscreen. No monitor, just a macbook. Then after opening a workspace, all open windows disappear, new workspace appears in new window. - non fullscreen.

In the workspace you’re choosing, what was the window configuration?

In case you’re misunderstanding what workspaces do:
A workspace will not add windows to the current open windows. It opens only windows that were open when the workspace was created. The windows replace the current set, not add to them.

Then I might misunderstand the concept. I read about it in the new TakeControl guide and wanted to implement it for my work. But you write ‘windows’ – as plural. Then how can I open several pre-arranged workspaces that stay open in their own, fullscreen windows?

Let me explain what I want to achieve. I have several classes as a teacher, and I want to be able to switch quickly between each groep (classes are arranged as groups within a ‘school’ database). I want them to be open all the time, in their separate fullscreen spaces, in pre-arranged views. Then how can I accomplish this? Can I only do this by opening a new window each time through the file menu? Why is it not possible to open an additional prearranged workspace (and then some more) without the already open window(s) closing? Can such a feature be added in a future version? Or am I overlooking a similar workflow?

Suggestions from other users (teachers) would be welcome. Now, with the new edition, I decided to dive into the application and try to use all its potential, but things like this still confuse me.

And thanks for the quick replies!

Why is it not possible to open an additional prearranged workspace (and then some more) without the already open window(s) closing?

Because a workspace will only restore the current window configuration. Any windows open outside the ones open for the workspace will close since they aren’t in the workspace’s definition.

However, you could easily open windows for 1st hour class and save the workspace. Then close those and open windows for 2nd hour class and save the workspace. Then close those, etc…
Now when you switch to a workspace, the windows for that class will be restored. And yes, it will close other windows you’ve opened outside that workspace.