World Backup Day

There is a big problem here. Windows use to search but not find. You will restore your databases, that are seen as normal folder structure in Windows. Then will run a search for “insurance contract”, Windows File Explorer will start simulating it is doing things, and after 2 hours, it won’t find anything does not matter if you have the file in front of you. :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

Too bad that EasyFind does not work on Windows :rofl:

2 Likes

It is encrypted, yes; even then, I’m assuming it is possible to decrypt the database on a PC - but it’s no simple task finding the right file within the database.

(thanks @rfog for confirming that).

This, btw, still does not solve the problem of falling over on the way out of the burning building, hitting my head and permanently forgetting my password.

Sharing it with your family or friends might be an idea (if you trust them :thinking: :smile:)

What I never understood is how that can work so bad in Windows. There are 3rd party tools, like Everything from Voidtools that if you have at least one NTFS volume, it finds almost immediately any file searched by file name. And when I say “immediately”, it is immediately. Finding files as you type in disks with thousands of millions of files. (It seems it directly reads NTFS metadata or use undocumented “nt” kernel files, but the result is like magic).

:flushed::face_with_peeking_eye:

Esteemed and ever-helpful @Blanc do please calm down! This forum has already driven me to Arq Premium so that I now have off-site backups in addition to nightly Carbon Copy Cloner backups to an SSD, weekly Time Machine backups and weekly export of database archives on my MacBook Pro internal SSD. After all of that I had seized the chance to breathe—just a little—and now you want me to panic again? <Sigh>. I am already exhausted by the terrifying possibilities you propound.

Stephen

4 Likes

Another vote for Arq Premium; I’m grateful to the forum and Devonthink for the recommendation
Local backup copy is addressed by Arq/TimeMachine to an external drive
Offsite (cloud) copy by Arq Premium
I’m confident that my data backups are covered

You’re fast! It took several years over here.

Some are blessed to forget … anyway I’m Feelin’ Good Right Now :wink:

1 Like