Worse Case Scenario

If something were ever to happen to my DTO database, would I be able to export/extract/recover all my documents? Right now everything I put into Devon Think, I also drop in a separate folder. It really is a pain in the rear. And yes, I do major backups both in the clouds, local and offsite of my database.
Thanks
Kim

Kind of depends on what “something” is.

You have a lot of backups. Do you ever test their integrity? If so, then you’re good to go.

Yep, sure do
Thanks
Kim

Ok,
Worse case (HYPOTHETICAL) scenario: DT ceased to exist and DTO is no longer supported. I am left with a Mac running lion, my DTO (last existing version) and DTO database which will not run on the next version of OSX. How would I extract my files from the database file? I looked under “show package contents” and saw “.dtMeta” files which run DTO when I click on them. I assume the easiest way would be to drag all the files out of the database into OS folders and be done with it?

Thanks
Kim

PS. Actually I have not upgraded to Lion yet.

If group hierarchy matters (parent groups, children, grandchild groups., etc.), then use File > Export > Files and Folders….

…even with Lion (whenever that happens for you) 8)

Thanks for the reply Korn. When you say structure you mean maintaing file locations within groups etc? I am not sure what you mean. If I have 1000 PDF files in my DTO database I just want to know that if I can’t use DTO any longer, I can get them out.
Thanks

Nevermind … I was thinking of something else

So just to clarify, I can simply drag them out of DTO into a folder in the finder (OS)…yes?

Yes, try it.

Yep, no problems… Thanks Korm. I know it was a stupid question. But since I got sick, I have my entire medical records in DTO and DTO had become VERY important to me as a source of storing such information. DTO is THE MOST important software I use these days. I can’t say enough how much I like it!!! And it’s on the MAC!

Thanks
Kim

Every question is a good one, Kim. Many times just experimenting with a test database can show you things you wouldn’t expect and faster than the forum can. :slight_smile: