Would like to direct scansnap imports to a destination other than inbox

As I already have to stop and modify the title, the tags, etc., it would be great to be able to specify a destination other than the inbox. It would save me a lot of work.

Thanks

• Specifying it where?
    • What do you have specified now?
  • Are you not using Preferences > Import > Destination > Select group in DEVONthink?

Sorry Blue, I was not specific. I’d like to be able to browse for the destination for each scan, much as I can with the sorter.

I assume this means you’ve set Preferences > Import to the global inbox, right?

If so and if ScanSnap does OCR then you could try a Smart Rule.

In general Smart Rules should not interact with the user, in this case however you’re waiting for the scan as you have to set the meta data, so this could work fine.

docCreator:ABBYY FineReader Engine 12

Smart Rule

-- Smart Rule - Move ScanSnap Scan via group selector

on performSmartRule(theRecords)
	tell application id "DNtp"
		try
			repeat with theRecord in theRecords
				activate
				set theName to name of theRecord
				set theGroup to display group selector "Move \"" & theName & "\" to:"
				move record theRecord to theGroup
			end repeat

on error error_message number error_number
			if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
			return
		end try
	end tell
end performSmartRule

Thank you Pete! I will try your suggestion if I need to, but you also pointed out that I am a dummy and that my setting may be the only issue. If I change it to “select group” it might be exactly what I’m wanting.

(And if that’s the case, I’m very sorry@Bluefrog that I didn’t realize where you were directing me.)

It was and no worries. Merely changing that setting should go the trick.

No problem. A Smart Rule might be a good solution for someone who doesn’t want to set Preferences > Import to “Select group” :slight_smile:

@BLUEFROG it seems it’s not obvious that this setting also affects scans send from ScanSnap Home. There’s this thread here and one in the german sub-forum:

In help Documentation > In & Out > Capturing Paper (Other Options) under “Using a ScanSnap scanner” it says

The scanner app will send the created PDFs to DEVONthink which in turn will import the document.

however there’s no connection to Documentation > Preferences > Import where under “Destination” it says

Choose the default destination where incoming data is stored.

• Select group: A group selector is shown that lets you choose the destination. The group selector appears as a black panel floating on top of all other windows. Use it to select the group where you want to file the items.
  • Global inbox: The data is stored in the global inbox.

A link from the ScanSnap explanation’s “import the document” to the “Destination” explanation would make it clear how users can change the ScanSnap destination :slight_smile:

Noted.

PS: The first quote is from In & Out > Capturing Paper (Other Options).
The second is from Preferences > Import.
Neither are from the Appendix.

1 Like