Writing complex documents (books, research) with DT3: which setup and workflow do you use?

Of course you may ask. But I can’t give you the answer because I don’t index Scrivener projects in DEVONthink at all.

I collect all sorts of material in DT and when I find a bunch of them “ripe” to become a text I move the material into a Scrivener project. The material could be third party texts in PDF formats or notes taken by me. They might contain of Bookends references also.

Such an interesting workflow.
I wonder, if it is possible to sync between IAwriter, DT and Scrivener while working on an Ipad?

Do you mean, using iA Writer to edit / create files on iOS Scrivener? No, I don’t think it can do that – iOS Scrivener doesn’t have external folders syncing as far as I know.

But you can use the External Folder you’ve created on the Mac version to access the files with iA Writer and/or DTTG on the iPad (i.e. if you keep the folder in iCloud Drive / Dropbox).

But you’re talking about a complicated process – linking between 3 apps on two devices, so you’ll have to be very careful to understand the implications of how the syncing is working. Personally, I would make sure that I only ever accessed the files on the iPad from within DTTG – i.e. open them in iA Writer from DTTG using the ‘Share > iA Writer’ button – and I’d make sure that the DTTG <> DT3 sync was completed before I opened anything when I was back on the Mac.

So, if you do give it a try, be very sure to test everything first and take good backups!

1 Like

Usually the Apps for iOS and iPadOS sync from a dedicated folder, so usually they don’t sync from the outside.
In other cases the sync is possible, but it’s very difficult to setup.

As long you use only 1 App on iPad is much easier: you work and sync inside the dedicated folder.

I would place chapter number (and or title) outside of the sub documents so that you can change the order in the final document.
But it is a solution I also forgot
thanks

1 Like

You could use Ulysses’s External Folder function in the same way?

I did try this at one point a couple of years ago, but there was too much friction to make it viable for use with DT3.

IIRC, the problem was that Ulysses’s Markdown XL has subtle differences with everybody else’s, which means that either you use their version (so you there are quirks about viewing / editing the content outside Ulysses), or you use a standard version and then you can’t use their extra features inside Ulysses. And even then, Ulysses treated ordinary markdown in a different way – image links ended up with extraneous \ before [, which broke them outside the app.

Also, when I tried it, there was a bug in either Ulysses or DTTG which meant that you couldn’t use Ulysses as an external provider on the iPad as the last few words of your text kept disappearing.

These issues may all have been resolvable and/or resolved now, but they were enough a couple of years ago for me to abandon the attempt.

However, if you just want to use the external folders with Scrivener and Ulysses, then you could try this series of blog posts to see if it would work for you: Edit Mac Scrivener 3 With iOS Ulysses, Part 1: Prepping Your Brain (Changing Your Scrivener Habits) #amwriting – A Study In Silver

1 Like